Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Wendy Smith
2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Carolina on
Q: What do I do if my ex wife is wanting to move my son out of NC without a custody agreement ?

Me and my ex wife have been civil since things have ended. No custody agreement, no child support, I give her money every week and I get my son every other weekend, she lives 3 hours from me. She told me she was moving but never told me where and tonight I have a screenshot of her telling me... View More

Wendy Smith
Wendy Smith
answered on Apr 14, 2019

You need to hire an attorney ASAP to file a custody complaint and prevent the move.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for North Carolina on
Q: What does a gs 14-72a less than 100.00 taken what will happen to me
Wendy Smith
Wendy Smith
answered on Jan 3, 2019

The taking of property valued at less than $1,000, or receiving property valued at less than $1,000 is a class 1 misdemeanor in North Carolina. A class 1 misdemeanor carries a maximum punishment of 120 days in jail if you have five or more prior convictions (other than infractions). With no prior... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for North Carolina on
Q: Ex wants me to either inc. my child support from $371 to $718 or let her claim child for taxes. What is better option?NC

My support of $371 was for 2 children per Worksheet B when she was making more income and I was making less. One child turned 18 and support automatically dropped. I don't know how much tax benefit she would receive by being able to claim the younger child going further ?(daughter 14).

Wendy Smith
Wendy Smith
answered on Nov 24, 2018

In order to truly evaluate your answer, I would need more information—I.e. your income, her income, extraordinary expenses, what does your previous custody order say, etc.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.