Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Brennan R Block
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Georgia on
Q: I am filing a suit against a paving contractor for work he did on my driveway.

He did not live up to the terms on the contract and refuses to fix the inferior job he did. I am filing a suit in small claims court for $14,985.00. His business address is his home address but the tax records show the property in his wife's name only. How would I go about putting a lien on... Read more »

Brennan R Block
Brennan R Block answered on Sep 21, 2021

Generally, you cannot simply place a lien on someone's property unless you are allowed to do so by state statute (i.e. by state law). A common state law that allows contractors to place a lien on their customers' property is the applicable state mechanics' lien law. That law... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Insurance Defense for Florida on
Q: I received a summons for a complaint for declaratory relief. I don’t know what it is or means

I don’t know if I should respond how I go about doing so, I also am wondering if this means they are suing me financially? This is from my car insurance company after they dropped me and paid nothing towards the accident.

Brennan R Block
Brennan R Block answered on Sep 21, 2021

Generally, a lawsuit filed for declaratory relief involves someone requesting for a court to enter a judgment that states the rights of parties to the lawsuit without ordering any specific action or awarding money to either party. In your circumstance, the insurance company is likely seeking a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Washington on
Q: My husband is in jail for domestic violence. I want to divorce him and get my sons passport so I can return home

Is this possible with him being in jail

Brennan R Block
Brennan R Block answered on Jul 15, 2020

Yes, it is possible to divorce your husband while he is in jail. You will need to serve him, in jail, with a divorce petition and follow procedures required by law. You should hire an experienced divorce attorney in your state to help with you with the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.