Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Insurance Defense Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Family Law for Alabama on
Q: Husband divorced ex wife 2013. Passed 2020. Life insurance was paid to former spouse. Does this fall under 30-4-17, Ala

Policy taken out before divorce from former spouse. Former spouse received insurance payout although deceased remarried to me. Divorced 2012, deceased and I began relationship 2013, he passed 2020. He and I share 3 young children ages 7 and under. Previous marriage occurred one child who is in 20s.... Read more »

Bettie Carmack
Bettie Carmack answered on May 8, 2022

If you are the listed beneficiary of an insurance policy, you would contact the insurance company to determine the payout decision. It is entirely possible that you were removed as the beneficiary of the policies.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Missouri on
Q: If my landlord has replacement insurance and the house catches fire are my belongings covered if they are in the house?

I also had a motorcycle in the yard that burnt well as all my tools.

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on May 2, 2022

Without seeing the policy, one can only guess what it covers. My hunch is that the landlord’s policy won’t cover a tenant’s belongings but that merely a guess.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Traffic Tickets for Illinois on
Q: My 16yr old received a no insurance ticket in a vehicle that is not his. will he lose his license over this. Illinois

I presented my insurance card to the States Attorney office's and that is when i found out my insurance has lapsed. Now he is the one introuble. I have since then insured my vehicle thru a different company. What are we looking at

Theodore J. Harvatin
Theodore J. Harvatin answered on May 2, 2022

Go to court with him along with proof you have insurance now. They will give you court supervision (protecting the license), although they will require him to carry SR 22 for a period of time.

3 Answers | Asked in Insurance Defense, Family Law and Education Law for Florida on
Q: I submitted paper work to claim a life insurance that my mom left me. There is a problem with her last name.

She died in PR im in FL. They are asking for a notarized form that says that she is the same person due to different last names. Im in FL the company is in PR. What can I do? Please help. Thanks!

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Apr 29, 2022

I don't understand your problem. Fill out the form, sign it before a Florida notary public, and mail it to the insurance company.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for California on
Q: Based on previous question, is it okay that I have served insurance co. for small claims court first vs. mitagation co.?

Letters were sent to both Insurance co. and mitagation co. about appliances (outside) being ruined and asked for replacement payment. Both denied responsibility. The mitagation co. wrote back stating that they are not responsible and turned it back to insurance co. The reason why I decided to take... Read more »

Neil Anapol
Neil Anapol answered on Apr 22, 2022

I would have sued both of them in the same case, and if they wanted to blame each other -- let them. They are both responsible for what happened. As far as you're concerned, it does not matter how you allocate the loss.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Insurance Defense for Minnesota on
Q: What if a financial insurance accidentally wired you ,$500,000 can you keep it
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 21, 2022

A Minnesota attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Until you have a meaningful consult with a local attorney based on all the details of the matter, nationwide, insurance carriers will usually come back to recover their funds upon discovering bookkeeping errors.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense for Louisiana on
Q: I have three insurance policies with Fireside Commercial Life Insurance out of Alexandria Louisiana.

I understand they have gone out of business. Can you give me any information on who now has the policies that I can contact?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 17, 2022

A Louisiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. If the carrier did not provide a call center or other resource for existing policyholders, you could contact the Louisiana Department of Insurance as a starting point. They usually keep track of the current... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Virginia on
Q: Can I still try and negotiate a settlement? And are insurance companies willing to settle on a low balance for long cas

I was injured in a car accident a couple years ago, and I was awarded a very small amount last year which wouldn't cover the full medical cost.I no longer have an attorney but I was told by an attorney, although he wouldn't represent me, that I could ask the health insurance if they had a... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 10, 2022

A Virginia attorney should advise you here, but your question remains open for two weeks. Your description contains many facts to sort out, and requires the guidance of a local attorney, not just a response based on general legal principles.

From what I can sort out, you were awarded a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Massachusetts on
Q: Why don't life insurance prices vary by state?

Do different states not have different regulations or business costs? Is it because life insurance companies cannot discriminate on geography?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 8, 2022

This is something an insurance professional would know better than an attorney. The industry relies more on individual factors such as age, gender, health factors (history of disease, smoking, alcohol, etc.), and activities/line of work, etc. An insurance professional could offer a more... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Georgia on
Q: My daughter was hit by another driver while in a rental through my car insurance. Now rental company billing me

The police officer failed to do her due diligence on report and lost information that was valid to report and was calling my daughter harassing her about information she (officer) needed. The rental company stated that they would have someone call me so that I could show them the pictures of the... Read more »

Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck answered on Apr 8, 2022

Look to your liability insurance policy/contract. Your insurer may have denied coverage because your liability policy does not cover your daughter driving a rental car. This could be for many reasons: daughter is an excluded driver under your policy, your policy does not cover rental cars driven by... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Traffic Tickets for Minnesota on
Q: Pulled over for speeding. Written a ticket for no insurance. Showed him my insurance. Told to send it in and fight it.

The officer took my ID and returned to his car while I looked up my insurance info. He returned with a ticket for speeding and no proof of insurance. I showed him proof of insurance. He said he couldn't remove the ticket because it would be more work and I needed to send the proof in.... Read more »

Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson answered on Apr 7, 2022

No, it does not de-legitimize the speeding ticket. The two issues are completely unrelated. There may be a legal issue with the speeding ticket, but this is not that issue.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Maryland on
Q: My father passed recently. He named me, his daughter, as beneficiary for his life insurance policy back in 2014.

He had to get his life insurance papework notarized due to state of Michigan retirement/pension rules, which he did, and then sent it in to be filed. In 2021, he remarried and went through the state of Michigan online system and put his new wife down as the beneficiary. He did not go through a... Read more »

Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann answered on Apr 1, 2022

I am sorry to hear of the recent loss of your father.

The post states that the policy holder "went through the online system and put his new wife down as the beneficiary." That is almost certainly the answer to the question "who the true beneficiary is of his life...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense for North Carolina on
Q: If an insurance company is in contract with a hospital in NC, can they balance bill for the rest of their charges?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 25, 2022

A North Carolina attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. As a general matter, it could depend on the terms of the arrangement between the hospital and the insurance company. But more information is necessary about the contract. Good luck

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Small Claims for California on
Q: California State Witness statement/ testimony

California State

I sent an email last week to the insurance company asking for the full testimony/statement of the witness and what he exactly said with the specific time and specific and date of the testimony after the insurance company closed the case based on that statement and ignored... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Mar 20, 2022





1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for New York on
Q: Can i sue an insurance company

So my dilemma is I have a car accident reported on my car accident history last year. I have never been in an accident in my life. My mom got in an accident last may and i was in the car. She called me a week later and told me her insurance wanted to speak with me i explained the situation to them... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 12, 2022

Some elements of the scenario are not fully clear, but from the brief facts, it does not look like a case of insurance fraud. Insurance fraud cases generally involve deliberate conduct with the intent to deceive the other party. This looks more like it could be an administrative or communications... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Insurance Defense for Texas on
Q: can my Texas drivers license be suspended if I'm the owner of car but vehicle was wrecked by someone else driving

the car was bought for relative, still in my name and was supposed to have car insurance on the vehicle but found out there was none . The person driving did not have my permission to move that vehicle at all, I was not aware of any other person driving . The car had CPI insurance from the... Read more »

Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White answered on Mar 12, 2022

You can loss your TDL if the other party get a judgment against you. You may need to retain a lawyer,

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Family Law and Insurance Defense for Pennsylvania on
Q: i got into a car accident. my insurance is under my fathers name but my car is my name. who does the insurance money

go to. my father is keeping the money from me so i can’t get a new car. what do i do

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Mar 7, 2022

You may or may not have left out some relevant facts but I will try to answer----if the insurance company is paying a property damage claim for the vehicle then it should pay the titled owner(s) of the vehicle.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Car Accidents for California on
Q: How long can the insurance company wait for witness to respond?

I was involve in accident where my the rear left side of my car was hit by another car(truck) after I took a left turn and enter the TWLT area where the accident occurred inside that area between the two yellow lanes, I have all the images to prove that. No injuries occurred we didn't file a... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Mar 6, 2022

The issue is often how much weight to give to the wit testimony. However, remember the car turning LEFT is usually presumed to be at fault ...absent other evidence.

It sounds like the damage is minimal and thus filing in small claims may get you some immediate response.

Remember you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Indiana on
Q: Is this insurance fraud?

I am selling a house as is, the boiler went out causing the heat and plumbing pipes to burst. The homeowners ins is paying for the damage. I'm selling for less now because of the pipes. I'm keeping the ins check to cover my loss. is that insurance fraud?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 2, 2022

An Indiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. Nationwide, it is usually not fraud if the check was issued for a legitimate loss and it reflected actual damages that were honestly presented for property owned outright. However, there could be other issues... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Missouri on
Q: I’m not at fault for a minor accident. My insurance paid me in less than 24 hrs. Now at fault insurance wants to pay too

Should I accept money from both insurance companies? My agent has already assured me that my premium will not go up since other insurance company accepted full liability

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 1, 2022

A Missouri attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Your carrier acted very fast. In general nationwide, claimants do not usually get paid twice for the same claim - one insurance carrier or the other pays. It sounds like the two carriers are not aware of each... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.