Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Whitney Young
3 Answers | Asked in Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: I just recently had a first appearance with my girlfriend of 8 years for domestic abuse. We had an argument that led to

Me harassing her via facebook. Minutes before our turn her lawyer came to me and I felt like I was entrapped by her lawyer and my family to sign an "agreement" concerning a restraining order but also I now have "supervised visitation" for both if my kids for 26hr/week... View More

Whitney Young
Whitney Young
answered on Jan 16, 2020

If you file a separate court action for child custody, and parenting agreement or order that comes out of the custody case will trump the supervised visitation in the domestic violence case. I would highly recommend you hire a local attorney to help you with that, especially since she is... View More

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Divorce for North Carolina on
Q: I married in January 2019 and broke up in February 2019. What's my separation date?

We married the 18th of January, He left to live with his father on the 14th of February. I moved out into my own rental July 18. I just need to know which date to put so the divorce paperwork is properly filled out.

Whitney Young
Whitney Young
answered on Jan 15, 2020

I agree with Mr. Bull, but to define “physically apart,” it’s when one spouse moves out of the “marital home.” So, it appears your separation date would be the 14th of February when he moved out, assuming one of you also had the intent for his move to be a permanent end to the marriage.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for North Carolina on
Q: I’m going to court for a civil case for child support if I bring money for payment would the judge honor it

it’s the first court appearance would the chances of me getting locked up slim to none

Whitney Young
Whitney Young
answered on Jan 14, 2020

It sounds like the child support agency is seeking contempt of court against you for failure to pay. If you bring the full amount owed to court, the judge will likely not hold you in contempt, which means you would not go to jail. Most judges will honor partial payment as well, especially where I... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.