Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by John Butler
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can the police make the father give the mother back her child if they were never married??

My sister dropped her baby off with his father (10 months old) and when she went to pick him up his father refused to give her son back. They were never married but his name is on the birth certificate. She called the police for help getting her son back and they said she would have to request... Read more »

John Butler
John Butler answered on Nov 19, 2020

Police will usually not get involved in custody disputes unless there is a clear court order. If you are still having trouble I would recommend contacting an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can you get a court appointed lawyer for a post divorce contempt hearing?
John Butler
John Butler answered on Aug 10, 2020

No but you can hire a private attorney or represent yourself for the contempt hearing.

2 Answers | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Arkansas on
Q: Father of my child wants to relinquish his parental rights. I am willing to accept sole responsibility, can I?

I am not married to the father of my child and As I understand the court system says I have to have someone to adopt my child; ie: boyfriend or husband. Why? I am willing and capable of taking full responsibility, I will establish a will with guardianship in case something happens to me and... Read more »

John Butler
John Butler answered on Jul 13, 2020

In most circumstances people can petition a court for a single parent adoption. You should not need another person to adopt the child. There are requirements for, and consequences of, adoptions that should be discussed with an attorney before moving forward with the process.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: who is a good attorney who will fight a CPS/ DHS case in AR

I need an attorney who will fight for me against DHS I have the worst case workers possible. I have a good case and I have several recordings and proof is there anyone who will take dhs on? I have an ajudication heraring coming up. AT the probable cause hearing they gave me my children back but the... Read more »

John Butler
John Butler answered on Jul 1, 2020

I would be happy to set you up a free consultation with our attorney who specializes in DHS cases. Feel free to reach out through my profile or give us a call.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can a guardian determine where an incapacitated person may live?
John Butler
John Butler answered on Jun 22, 2020

In most circumstances, the guardian makes that decision. If the guardian wants to move the ward out of the court's jurisdiction, the guardian will need approval from the court. A court may also limit what decisions a guardian has control over. If you have a question about a specific... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Arkansas on
Q: can I get emergency custody of my children if they don't have air conditioning at their dads?

they have told me they are only allowed to open 1 window and they have stated that he can't plug in an air conditioner because he's afraid the house will catch fire because of the wiring. there is also vines growing through the walls of the home and the walls are bulging out. they live in... Read more »

John Butler
John Butler answered on Jun 15, 2020

I'm not sure the facts you've presented will be enough for a court to issue an emergency order but you could certainly ask a court for a custody modification based on these facts. If their dad can't provide a safe environment for the kids you could ask the court to limit his time... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.