Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Benjamin Jeffrey Stoltman
1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Contracts and Family Law for Michigan on
Q: What would we need to do to have custody of our nephew for a while with consent from his father who has sole custody?

Father may go to set up place out of state and wants child taken care of while he makes sure about living arrangements and work. Childs mom is only allowed supervised visits if father agrees 1×/week. Mother is not a child in an adults body. We want to make sure that the mom cannot take custody of... View More

Benjamin Jeffrey Stoltman
Benjamin Jeffrey Stoltman
answered on Oct 25, 2023

What you are describing can either be accomplished through a delegation of parental authority (power of attorney) or through limited guardianship. A limited guardianship will take longer and will cost more, but offers Court oversight and protection if mom were to become an issue. A delegation of... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.