Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Onyema Anene Farrey
4 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Georgia on
Q: I was needing to find out what I needed to do because my wife ran out 5 months ago and I want to file for divorce.

There are no kids involved only thing I have is my house that's been in my name and a car thats in both our names But she doesn't want neither one. Also she went to a different stateShe left with no warning She doesn't even want to work on it And neither do I

Onyema Anene Farrey
Onyema Anene Farrey answered on May 3, 2021

You can file for a divorce in Georgia. If you and your wife have reached an agreement on all the issues -- how to divide up the assets, debts, personal property, and the house -- then you both can sign a detailed settlement agreement that memorializes the terms of the agreement and file it with... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Georgia on
Q: What do i do if i do not know my wife's address to send divorce papers.

We have a son together that she has made no effort to contact since middle of Sept 2020. We habe been separated for a year. I got him due to her using drugs right after the separation. I know that most likely an attorney will have to get involved. Id just like to know the quickest way to get this... Read more »

Onyema Anene Farrey
Onyema Anene Farrey answered on Feb 9, 2021

You must do a diligent search for her family members, hire a private process server to perform a skip trace, send an email, text or social media message to ask her for her address, or it may be as simple as calling her and asking her to sign an Acknowledgment and Waiver of Service... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Georgia on
Q: if your 17 and charged with family violence at your mothers house do they put up a protection order if you live there?

if the 17 year old is living with the parents and was arrested for family violence will there be a protection order put up when he goes to court

Onyema Anene Farrey
Onyema Anene Farrey answered on Feb 6, 2021

If charged with battery/family violence in Georgia, the offender will likely have bond conditions that will state that the offender shall have no contact with the victim.

If the victim wants a domestic violence protective order (called a TPO), the victim will have to file a separate case...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody for Georgia on
Q: If I’m served as the father for temporary guardianship to my son because his mother died and I want my child

What’s the next step I take

Onyema Anene Farrey
Onyema Anene Farrey answered on Feb 2, 2021

It depends on your status. If you have never obtained a court order that outlines your parental and custodial rights and you were never married to the Mother of your child, in Georgia you will need to immediately file a petition for legitimation with the Superior Court and ask for custody of your... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: What rights does an ex wife with joint legal custody of two minor children have to assets obtained during a new marriage

*Assets earned or obtained during the non-custodial parents new marriage. This is in regards to a contempt case being brought upon the custodial parent for denial of visitation with the expectation that she will retaliate by asking for more money( in the state of georgia)

Onyema Anene Farrey
Onyema Anene Farrey answered on Jan 19, 2021

The ex spouse’s rights regarding any assets from the divorce should be already spelled out in the divorce decree. But once the court divided up the assets and property in the divorce, that’s it. After a divorce is finalized the court cannot re-determine a division of assets and property.... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Georgia on
Q: My ex husband is past due over $5000. What can I do to get it. This is a court ordered.

I haven't received a payment since August. My ex received both stimulus checks. When I ask for an update they say no updates and they will reach out to the other state

Onyema Anene Farrey
Onyema Anene Farrey answered on Jan 17, 2021

If your ex is behind in his court-ordered child support or alimony payments, you will need to file a contempt action against him in the Court that issued the order. It is not clear who you are referring to by stating "they say no updates." If you are referring to child support services,... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Georgia on
Q: So my ex husband and I get to switch years to claim our daughter on taxes he has odd years and I have even years.

We have joint custody. So how and why does he get to keep it all of the stimulus money.

Onyema Anene Farrey
Onyema Anene Farrey answered on Jan 17, 2021

It is not quite clear what you are asking. The IRS allows the custodial parent to claim the minor child on his/her taxes. The custodial parent is the parent who has the child more nights during the year than the other parent. However, the custodial parent can agree to allow the non-custodial parent... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia on
Q: How can I get custody of my 13 year old niece?

She has lived with me 4 years now because her parents were homeless. They moved to a different state and they took their 6 year old son but they left her here with me. She is very depressed and she asked for help with this so the doctor sent a referral for a therapist we went to the first... Read more »

Onyema Anene Farrey
Onyema Anene Farrey answered on Jan 17, 2021

If her parents are objecting to officially giving you custody of your niece, you should consider talking to them about getting temporary guardianship of your niece so that you can obtain the necessary medical and therapy treatments for her. They should be willing to agree to this since... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.