Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Kelly Lynn Ryan
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for California on
Q: I have filled out my N-400 naturalization for out in blue ink instead of black ink. Is this a problem?
Kelly Lynn Ryan
Kelly Lynn Ryan answered on Aug 14, 2015

It may cause problems with the acceptance of the application due to the scanners that USCIS and its contractors use. If they cannot scan the document so the ink is legible, they may reject the application. The rejection notice may say that the application was not signed rather than citing to the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Can I use I-797C or Letter from NVC as proof of approved I130 Petition?

My I130 petition was approved in 2013, but I only received an email for approval, not a hard copy.

I am now eligible to apply for AOS but I dont have the I797.

I do have a letter from NVC advising me that I have a visa number available and a letter from USCIS with my case number... Read more »

Kelly Lynn Ryan
Kelly Lynn Ryan answered on Aug 14, 2015

While it is ideal to have the approval notice, you may prove that the petition was approved using other means including those you mention. The petitioner may also file a FOIA to obtain a copy of the official approval.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for New York on
Q: I am a male resident of New York City. Can I file a Petition of Fiancé for my male partner who lives in another country?
Kelly Lynn Ryan
Kelly Lynn Ryan answered on Aug 14, 2015

Yes! Marriage equality extends to the K process. If your fiancee lives in a non-gay friendly country, he may process the visa under special protections or in a different country. Consult with an attorney to determine how to proceed.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law on
Q: Lack of federal income tax return? What to do?

We have received the email about our interview for our US Visa application. It is on Sept. 3, 2015. They said that we must bring

- U.S. Federal Income Tax Return for 2014

- W-2 Form(s) for 2014

- Signed letter of explanation and legal basis for not filing Income Tax Returns... Read more »

Kelly Lynn Ryan
Kelly Lynn Ryan answered on Aug 14, 2015

To immigrate to the US, you must have the petitioner or petitioner and co-sponsor submit an affidavit of support to demonstrate that you will not be a public charge. Since the petitioner does not live in the US or earn enough to file returns, his affidavit of support alone is probably not... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.