Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Jonathan William Doolan
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Education Law for Tennessee on
Q: Perm Sub - can my school change my position and contract at will?

I started in July working as a Permanent Sub teaching High School English with the intent that the school that hired me would help with my pursuit of certification. I was also told that after getting my certification I would get a raise and be instated as an HS ELA teacher full stop. My contract... View More

Jonathan William Doolan
Jonathan William Doolan
answered on Oct 29, 2021

Your answer depends greatly on the wording of the employment contract between you and your employer. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a local attorney who practices employment law and they can provide a better opinion after reading your contract.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Tennessee on
Q: do I have a lawsuit?

my company has allowed an employee for years to be a tyrant among other employees without reprimanding her. Company policy states its zero tolerance to violence. With management taking the necessary steps they suppose to take I fell victim to this war path. she physically attacked and as result... View More

Jonathan William Doolan
Jonathan William Doolan
answered on Jun 7, 2021

You have several claims, depending on the size of your employer, where the assault occurred, and the circumstances for your not being able to work. I would strongly suggest that you contact an attorney who handles workers' compensation and employment law cases. Generally they offer free... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for Tennessee on
Q: Need an attorney for employer wage theft and not paying me minimum wage. I’m in Tn.

Stole for past 2 years.

Never turned into IRS or reported work to SSI.

STOLE ppp money. Never received checks for 2 months of my work.

Jonathan William Doolan
Jonathan William Doolan
answered on May 24, 2021

Your specific location may help inform an answer. Feel free to email me directly and I could possibly point you in the right direction.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Tennessee on
Q: Is it illegal to record a conversation between me and my employer without them knowing.

There have been several incidents where I have been wronged and my employer has said things that could prove this fact in private meetings. Can I record these meetings to protect myself?

Jonathan William Doolan
Jonathan William Doolan
answered on May 24, 2021

Tennessee is a "one party consent" state, meaning that if you are both in Tennessee and at least one person (in this case, you) knows about and consents to the recording, it is legal. Whether it is beneficial depends on the facts of your case.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Tennessee on
Q: Got fired for gallbladder problems, causing me to passout at work.

I told my managers that i was going to the doctor and was waiting for a call to get an ultrasound. But i passed out several times at work over the weekend and i was slumped over in pain several times. Someone took a pict of me saying i was asleep for 30 mins. I wasnt, i was just in pain. HR called... View More

Jonathan William Doolan
Jonathan William Doolan
answered on Mar 1, 2021

There are several issues that would need to be addressed to properly answer this question, including how many employees the company has and how long you worked there. I would suggest contacting an employment attorney in your area to see if they offer a free consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.