Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Employment Discrimination Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Employment Discrimination for California on
Q: What type of lawyer can help me wth civil rights, employment discrimination and harassment?
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Oct 18, 2019

Lawyers capable of helping you experienced in civil rights cases, unlawful employment discrimination and/or harassment can be found simply by using these as your search criteria using Google or any other search engine. Such a search will return a plethora of information helpful to you. Moreover,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Employment Discrimination for Arizona on
Q: A teacher at my school was fired for LGBT discrimination. There is a court case, what could she be convicted on?

This case is being held under Maricopa County, Arizona law. Thanks!

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 17, 2019

Is it a criminal or civil case? It sounds civil. If so, she faces a monetary penalty only

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination for Michigan on
Q: I am currently pregnant can I be denied short-term disability from FMLA? I’m due in two months.

I am having severe back pain and some other issues I have written out paperwork of my doctor approving this leave. The woman that I am working with as my case manager is telling me that is not good enough I am going to physical therapy twice a week for it.

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 16, 2019

FMLA and disability are two distinct things. You can qualify for FMLA leave and benefits, but not disability, and vice versa.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Illinois on
Q: can I sue for severance pay been delayed?

I submitted paper work for my severance pay and waited the 10 days to receive the paycheck. It’s been 13 days and I’ve been told by my Employee Service Center that paperwork was never submitted. I have bills to pay and need that check.

James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg answered on Oct 16, 2019

Your best bet is to re-submit the paperwork. A lawsuit will take months (and possibly years) to settle the issue.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Oregon on
Q: I was fired by my company after 5 years with no documentation of the reason. Do I have a case?

The reason given was “lack of confidence to do my job”. I asked for supporting documents and was given none. I saved the company 500k in payroll alone by cross training in my department rather than hiring. Just before I was let go I saved the company 78k in annual paper costs by switching to... Read more »

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Oct 16, 2019

Based on what you wrote, no. Employment is at will, they can fire you for most any reason, and they do not have to give you the reason. Now, had they fired you because you were black, white, gay, straight, male, female, or similar (as in because you were one of those, not that you are one of those)... Read more »

Q: My previous jobs payroll company released my medical status with amount my consent. The code this 24-12-21.

I have documentation of the occurrence and now I am unemployed now do to the information being released.

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Oct 14, 2019

I do not handle employment payroll matters. Sorry.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for New York on
Q: Contract violation between my employer and vendor. Not sure how much I involved in this. Any suggestion

Hi I work for a client A company with the vendor B as a layer of my contract before and and vendor B made a contract with me stating that upon the termination Or completion of the project with the client I shouldn’t either work as a part-time or full-time within a year.. I have been working for... Read more »

Mathew Paulose
Mathew Paulose answered on Oct 10, 2019

Greetings. We are unclear as to the details of your fact pattern. We suggest you meet with an attorney who will be able to work through your story and properly determine your exposure. According to what you wrote, you say "me or my employer" is being sued. You must find out if "you" are indeed... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Family Law for Kentucky on
Q: I was told I cannot work with children and possibly not in the medical field, is this true?

I was told this is due to CPS (dcbs) taking my kids years ago. My kids have since been adopted by my uncle and I'm pretty sure I never had charges pressed against me, I never hurt or neglected my kids.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Oct 7, 2019

It depends on the specific circumstances with regard to working with children but it should not preclude you from working in the medical field.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for California on
Q: Can I take leave from Work under CFRA for medical issue caused by childbirth?

I gave birth onMay 20th, my 4 months leave under PDL will end on September 20th. I had some complications during delivery and today my doctor told me that I need to rest for another 2months. I know that I’m entitled for another 12 weeks leave for baby bonding time under CFRA. My question is Can I... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Sep 27, 2019

Your CFRA leave time is limited related to medical disabilities, but even if you exceed your designated CFRA time, the Fair Employment and Housing Act will require your employer to extend additional unpaid leave to you to address a disabling condition under most circumstances. Be sure your doctor... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Michigan on
Q: Manager chooses when to enforce company policy to prevent termination for some yet I was terminated.

Manager has edited and continues to edit punch times or adjusts schedules so that employees do not accrue points that would lead to termination. (According to company policy, x points = termination.) Manager admits to my former coworker that she has done this for other employees under certain... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Sep 26, 2019

You should talk with a local employee-side labor attorney. You might have a case, particularly if a pattern of misapplication of policy or the points system can be shown.

You could try contacting HR, although I would suggest waiting to do so until after you've had a chance to consult with...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Florida on
Q: Can a franchise employer and fellow employees harrass an employee until they quit because of an issue with a diff emp

My sister and daughter work for a 7eleven franchise my sister was fired for a reason but now the owner and co managers from other owned store and business are harrassing my daughter trying to make her quit too. They are talking negative thing to the customers in front of her face. Degrading her and... Read more »

Kevin Sanderson
Kevin Sanderson answered on Sep 26, 2019

It is difficult to say based on what you have here. For example, as they are both female is any of the harassment based on gender or sex or another protected class?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for North Carolina on
Q: I was off the schedule to work and they tried calling me into work, they are threatening to fire me if I don’t come in..

Is this legal?

Kirk Angel
Kirk Angel answered on Sep 25, 2019

Yes, they can fire you if you do not come in. You would not have a legal claim unless you were out due to something like jury duty, military service or FMLA.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Juvenile Law for Georgia on
Q: Can a child be taken off school grounds on a trip without parental consent?

Also a child thats in a special needs class cause he has autism

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV answered on Sep 23, 2019

Schools typically send home a permission slip for field trips. Have you tried speaking with the school to get the details about this and find out why no notification was given or why they didn't seek permission? I would first reach out to the school to speak to them about it and ensure them that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Employment Discrimination for Kentucky on
Q: I was told that i can no longer do my old job which wad standing lifting bending stooping etc. I had a meniscus tear.

I had surgery but the dr said I need a knee replacement. FCE said sit down work only. How much can i expect feom a settlement and what is an acxeptable settlement. I was also let go the day after my surgery from an alleged incifent 3 weeks prior to the surgery.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Sep 20, 2019

It is impossible to predict a settlement amount without having all the medical records and bills to consider.

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Arkansas on
Q: Wrongful Termination (Arkansas)?

I have a serious injury (not work related) that has caused me to miss several days of work. I have had several ER visits for pain, Dr visits working on fixing the issue, and days where I simply could not move. That said, I understand missing excessive time is wrong. Where I don't agree/understand... Read more »

Paul Gerard Pfeifer
Paul Gerard Pfeifer answered on Sep 15, 2019

You need to speak with an Arkansas employment lawyer. There are some facts that need to be learned before an answer can be provided. I would be happy to discuss your situation with you.

View More Answers

Q: Need help in injury on duty unfair dismissal and medical negligence.

Injury on duty and unfair dismissal that followed and 1 surgery behind me and another scheduled in the next week I need legal help

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 14, 2019

I'm sorry about your dismissal. This sounds like it is going to be a complex matter involving a number of issues and legal areas. You could start by contacting an employment lawyer (one from this site or one from your independent search). It looks like there are going to be additional elements... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Employment Discrimination for California on
Q: Waiting for my appointment with the workman's comp doctor it is not for 6 months can they do that legally.

I don't feel very good about my attorney as I feel 6 months is unacceptable amount of time to see workman's comp doctor. My attorney told me to find a job maybe I hired the wrong one

Bianca Estella Kushner
Bianca Estella Kushner answered on Sep 13, 2019

It depends what the issue is. If this is an Agreed Medical Evaluator, sometimes the wait can be 6 months. in the meantime, however, you should be able to follow up with your treating physician if your injuries are getting worse.

If the issue is a denial of the injuries, then you should be...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Discrimination for Florida on
Q: I was terminated on my way to work during hurricane Dorian from Abbiejean Russell Care center in Ft. Pierce Fl on 9/2/19

The New administrator is Haitian. I am the director of activities and the residents complained to me 2 times during resident council that the staff always speaks in creole outside their rooms daily. I gave my residents council minutes to the administrator 3x weeks ago for her to sign and she never... Read more »

Mitchell Feldman
Mitchell Feldman answered on Sep 7, 2019

Unfortunately as an employee at will you don’t have any legal claim against your employer other than unemployment given these facts. Seek unemployment.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Oregon on
Q: Does my employer have the right to alter my time card simply because he disagrees what I recorded as work time.

We self record are time in 15 min increments on an honor system. The rule is to keep track of your own time since the crew all have slightly different tasks and often clock out at different times. I also keep a log book of all job duties, times, appointments, etc. Last month my boss docked my check... Read more »

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Sep 4, 2019

You can, but be prepared to be fired. It would be unlawful retaliation, but the wage theft is also unlawful. My suggestion would be to find a new job first.

Also, if you do file a complaint, focus only on the hours docked. The fact that you are a foreman and there were bad bids has nothing...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Arkansas on
Q: Should I have been receiving on- call pay?

I work for a municipality in Arkansas? I was issued a city phone and was told I would be responsible for all call outs per my license. ( water/Sewer) . I have answered calls and also came back from dinners and vacations to handle utility issues. I have never been able to go out of town far away... Read more »

Paul Gerard Pfeifer
Paul Gerard Pfeifer answered on Sep 4, 2019

You may want to contact an employment attorney that handles FLSA cases because you may have a claim related to this activity by your employer. We would be happy to speak with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.