Los Angeles, CA asked in Divorce, Immigration Law and International Law for California

Q: What should I do when I want a divorce to a marriage that took place overseas

I am a U.S citizen. I married a Man overseas (Iraq to be specific and he is still overseas). I am back in America and our marriage did not work out and I want a divorce. How would that work and what should I do whether he might decline or accept the divorce. Would it also show that I'm divorced in America rather than getting divorced in another country?

2 Lawyer Answers
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD

A: You may file for divorce in the state in which you reside once you meet the criteria for divorce in that state. Obtaining jurisdiction over your husband in order to resolve property or custody and support issues is a more complex matter. Consult with a family law practitioner in California. You might try navigating to Avvo.com and the find a lawyer function. Input Family Law and your county of residence, and then read the reviews and endorsements rather than the ads.

Carl Shusterman agrees with this answer

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: File for the divorce where you live. You do not have to divorce him abroad.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.