Q: 2012,13, 15 were consaldated. Does statute of limitations matter when your not covicted until 2017? What's fair?

I was arrested in 2015 while fighting cases from 2012. then arrested again in 2013, this time I was threatened. Then in 2015 while fighting the cases from 2012,13, the same sheriff's who threatend me came back to my house May 9th 2015 where on good faith I let them in to do there job. I was violently grabbed busting my dental bridge. Then handcuffed, taken to my driveway where the officer slams me on my car fracutered knee in 2 places damage meniscus incarcerated 4 days without medical attention. I wanted to Civil sue them and they said I had to wait untill my cases were over. What can I do my cases are finally over? My trial consist of 2012, 13 and 15 when the assault happend. Trial ended in march 2017. That was for all three. doesn't that help when it comes to statute of limitations? all they have done is lie and collaborate to convict me. And make themselves not liable. Can my transcripts prove anything it's all there everything thats happend? It's sad our justice system. America

1 Lawyer Answer
Steven McNicholl
Steven McNicholl
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in California

A: Your claim against the police officers would be a civil claim under injury to person. You must pursue your claim within two years in the State of California. After two years, it will be difficult or impossible to make your claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.