Los Angeles, CA asked in Civil Rights, Education Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: What options do I have to get The College Board to honor a legal name change for student records?

I am aware of FERPA, and that their protections generally apply to College Board records. I also know that I can't sue, only file a complaint with the Dept of Education, under FERPA. Is there any other legal option available to me? They are claiming student records more than 4 years old cannot be updated in any way. However other official CB docs show this not being the case. The inability to have my records updated to my legal name is causing me a significant burden in trying to utilize them to pursue college today.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in California

A: Why not simply provide the colleges to which you are applying a copy of any court order showing your legal name change, which should state the old name and the new name, when providing them a copy of old documents and records? The College Board policy seems reasonable enough so that it does not create a significant burden for them to worry about changing names on records that are older than 4 years. It's a private, non profit organization, and when you take tests through the College Board, you are agreeing to their contractual terms and policies. That is important to remember. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, www.AliEsq.com. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.