Pawtucket, RI asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Federal Crimes for Rhode Island

Q: Can my boyfriend be charged with B&E if he is on my lease?

I had a bad argument with my boyfriend while drunk one night, which resulted in me telling him to leave and calling the police. He has been charged with B&E, however he is on my rental lease. He can not afford a lawyer at this time, so he has decided to go with a public defender. He had court today, and his mother presented herself to his public defender and provided her with a copy of our rental lease. Now she (his public defender) is stating that more things have to be investigated. Will she contact my landlord? I don’t want my landlord thinking we’re bad people or criminals. It was such a dumb argument and i honestly don’t know what overcame me to call the police. I don’t want to be kicked out of my new apartment but I also don’t want my boyfriend doing time he doesn’t deserve.

What do I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas Briody
Thomas Briody
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Cooperate with the attorney. Public defenders do a terrific job, and should follow through with their own investigation. The Rhode Island public defender has its own investigators. You can also communicate to the Attorney General that you do not wish to go forward with any complaint against your boyfriend. You can communicate this by speaking to a domestic advocate, or by hiring your own attorney. Good luck.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.