Oakland, CA asked in Child Custody, Divorce, Family Law and Immigration Law for California

Q: hello i am living a troubled and abusive marriage, i have two daughters and i want to divorce.

I am Brazilian, married to a Brazilian who is an American citizen, i'm in the process of being Greencard, but our marriage is terrible and this is affecting children. i want to divorce because he treats me badly and i want to know more about my rights what can i do regarding custody of our daughter.

1 Lawyer Answer
Liliana Gallelli
Liliana Gallelli
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You may qualify to obtain a green card despite the divorce under the law known as "VAWA"; a self-petition for spouses who are abused by a US citizen or resident spouse. With regard to the custody, that needs to be resolved in divorce proceedings in Family Court which is a legal process independent of the immigration process (except for how the divorce affects any immigration proceedings that are dependent on your marriage).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.