Wheeling, IL asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Divorce and Family Law for Illinois

Q: Property taken without consent

The night my wife called cops on me - Cops made her leave as she was trying to hurt herself and blame me ... she took my brother's car saying that she will be back next day to pickup her stuff - now lawyers are involved and I have permission to see my 6-month old baby - Lawyer is saying since Car is not your property your brother has to go get it and not part of divorce - here is the kicker they have done something to the car and it's not working now ... What can I do to make her accountable as at the time she said she will be back next day and she never returned it ... and my brother never consented her to keep the car for so long .. its been 2- months - can't the be tried under contract law as she did make a verbal contract

1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You have an attorney, you need to discuss this with your attorney. This is why you hired an attorney. No one here has the information that your attorney has.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.