Q: Is there any way to stop my son's autopsy report from being public record (CPRA) if we are in safe at home program?

I have recently been informed of an organization who has drastically digging for details and information surrounding my son's death. My son passed in a horrific and tragic accident in May, he was just 5 months old. These people have shared his story and details of the incident and I cannot confirm who their source has been. I have spoken to the detective on the case and the coroner's office. The Coroner's office called me today to let me know the autopsy and coroner's report was completed today and being reviewed to finalize and will be given to this organization. I am looking for any help or resource that can guide me in the right direction to keep this already tragic and sensitive situation, private.

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should contact a good privacy rights lawyer right away. No parent should have to endure the further indignity of unwanted scrutiny regarding the death of such a young child. In Los Angeles you should be able to find a top notch lawyer who knows how handle such situations. You can go to the Los Angeles County Bar Association's website (https://www.lacba.org/) and search for privacy rights lawyers, or call their Lawyer Referral Service number listed on the website and ask for the assistance you need.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.