Providence, RI asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Products Liability and Legal Malpractice for Rhode Island

Q: I have a GPS monitor on. It has caused permanent damage to my ankle. Can I sue for damages?

I'm on Interstate Parole. I had a violation and had to go back and serve 90 days. Upon release and arrival back to Rhode Island, a GPS monitor was attached. The first time I had a monitor, it was for 90 days. I did not get any marks then.

However, it has been six months since I have had the monitor this time and it has created a very unsightly mark and causes pain at times regardless how many times I turn it. I have mentioned this to my parole officer and received, "You better take care of that ankle", nothing more. The monitor is still on, why for so long? I don't know. Each time I mention the removal of the device, I am ignored.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: I'm not hearing you had medical treatement. Until you get it there is no record showing you have anything caused by the monitor. Once you have that you can ask to have it switched to the other ankle or made so that you can work a sock in between the brace and your ankle.

You should contact the attorney who represented you so that you can get a change in the ankle monitor.

you are not alone:

Note however that even in a case with quite severe injuries, there was found to be no liability under the evidence submitted.

Also note to make a claim as to any government defendant most states and the Federal Tort Claims Act require that you give a type of formal notice called a notice of governmental tort claim. The time period is usually 180 days. I would suggest you contact the ACLU for the state where the sentencing happened, and ask for their Prison Litigation unit. Even if they don't have it ask for the contact information for their "cooperating attorneys."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.