Yukon, OK asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Collections and Small Claims for Oklahoma

Q: ) I have questions regarding the validity of a judgement in Canadian Co. from 2009 that according

To the title company would be subject to being satisfied from my portion of the real estate equity, just recently having acquired, in a joint tenancy along with my sister and one of their spouses, days prior to my moms death she requested we file a deed transferring ownership. The judgement is in Canadian Co. so is the real property. The title company seemed unsure about it and repeatedly indicated this was a judgement rather than when referring to it, calling it a lien attached to the home. The fact I attended the Asset Hearing is on Record, but the documents I am able to find, it didn’t appear a ruling was made, filed and attached to the property specifically, not to mention the fact I have mot received any communication from the judgement creditors attorney since 2011. Nothing indicating they notified me that the case was being presented for renewal on either of the two renewals I found out about by doing case research. I’ve noted a few areas of the law that provisions might apply.

1 Lawyer Answer
James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Judgments can be liens on real property of the judgment debtor once they are filed of record. Generally, the lien lasts for 5 years but they can be extended for successive 5 year periods. You would have to consult with an attorney with all of your documents to determine if the judgment is still a lien.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.