Oakland, CA asked in Civil Rights, Domestic Violence, Environmental and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Can I sue my building if my room keeps flooding since I moved in

I live in a single room occupancy its very unhealthy for me I was also going thru an domestic violence and when I asked repeatedly to move and even contacted victims of violent crime and the women's against violent acts the building management pretended to move me to another unit in the building which to me made no sense I requested numerous times to be moved out the building. Not only that I was without a way into my building because the clerks are never there my key card stopped working so I replaced there lock with a lock I can access, sewage was coming out of my drain cockroaches feces for minutes at a time creating this nasty smell in my room destroying my belongings the carpet i bought to cover the eaten up carpet and wood I had to dispose off alot of my dishes because feces got on them on my sponges there is kitchen no bathroom in my room just a sink and I am forced to use it as a multi facility there is a kitchen in. The basement there are two bathrooms in the halls but half

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info is needed.

clearly, this facility is not up to code.

you have an inherent promise of habitability when you move somewhere.

you can go to small claims; report to state and city etc

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.