Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

California Environmental Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Environmental and Gov & Administrative Law for California on

Q: Stop code enforcement from hitting returnees with violations with hefty fines in paradise, CA. can anything be done?

Some of us are starting to receive violation notices from the city of paradise for code violations that are 2 months old along with the hefty fines for each. We were told that we would fall under a disaster ordinance upon return and I believe for up to 18 months. Now it is said only 180 days. the... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi answered on Jul 26, 2019


You need to get familiar with the City's Municipal Code right away. You and the others like you should appeal every citation you get. Get yourselves a good civil rights lawyer who can represent you in every citation case.

Find yourself a good lawyer who has...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Environmental and Patents (Intellectual Property) for California on

Q: My friend patented in Mexico a new way to clean water in the oceans. Would like to sell here in USA.

Peter D. Mlynek answered on Apr 7, 2019

Your friend's patent will only protect him/her from the competition within Mexico. If your friend did not patent it with the USPTO, anyone will be able to practice the invention in the US, but so nothing for your friend to sell. What does your friend want to sell?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Environmental and Landlord - Tenant for California on

Q: If I been given a UD filed Feb 1st, 2019, but still no court as of yet. Can I still sue them in small claims court?

Breach of Contract and Covenant of Quiet Enjoyment, Owner and Manager for harassment, Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress, outrageous conduct, extreme and outrageous conduct by the Owner and Manager with the intention of causing, or reckless disregard of the probability of causing,... Read more »

Thomas A. Grossman answered on Mar 18, 2019

I don't understand your statement of "No Court," which I assume means there has been no Court date set. You need to go on the internet and find the nearest Court in your County. Then log in to that Court Website and look for a case number. If you received papers from the Court you probably have... Read more »

Q: Is the city responsible for property damage caused by limbs falling from the city trees? After a limb falling on my car.

Limbs have fallen from the two trees on both sides of the tree limb that hit my car causing $2,000.00 damage to my vehicle

Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 14, 2019

The property owner (be that the city or a private owner) may be liable if the limbs fell due to improper maintenance. You can report this to your car or home insurance for them to pursue against the owner of the property. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue.... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Environmental for California on

Q: First time for concealed machete?

never been in trouble as juvenile and adult, first time ever.

Wais Azami answered on Jul 31, 2018

Was a there a question???

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Environmental for California on

Q: Can you please show me where can I find out if workers compensation still owes me money from the state of California

Steven James Foster answered on Feb 15, 2018

You can look on the California State Controller's web site

1 Answer | Asked in Environmental for California on

Q: Can I sue a company for mishandled regulated chemicals

My roommate works in pest control in California with regulated chemicals but does his work clothes laundry here in the shared apartment units when I know other companies pay to have their uniforms done by a professional cleaning service is it illegal for his company to not provide laundry service... Read more »

Gregory Andrews Cade answered on Oct 29, 2017

If you did not suffer a severe injury as a result of exposure to the chemicals on your roommate’s work clothes, taking legal action against the employer will most likely be a fruitless endeavor. Whether the practice of having workers clean their own uniforms is legal highly depends on what... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Environmental and Health Care Law for California on

Q: My child is sick due to a roach infestation as a tenant I want to take legal action against landlord what are my option

We have paid ourselves several times to bomb and spray home because landlord sent out non-licensed pest guy Wich did nothing *literally* and Wich he is her "handy man" and very likely to be an illegal immigrant (I am of Latin race, not racists) and so this roach infestation has only gotten... Read more »

Manuel Alzamora Juarez answered on Aug 9, 2017

Call an attorney that can help you with your habitability problem. You nay have a breach of the warranty of habitability. You may be able to recover damages, especially if your son has developed medical complications. Best of luck!!!

5 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Environmental and Landlord - Tenant for California on

Q: Trying to find a lawyer for a toxic mold situation in my mother's senior apartments. What kind of lawyer do I need

have pictures and lab results

Gerald Barry Dorfman answered on Jun 12, 2017

Many personal injury attorneys handle these types of cases.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Agricultural Law, Environmental and Land Use & Zoning for California on

Q: Can I get a license to grow and harvest marijuana on my farm in Nebraska?

Marijuana was planted for rope and soil health pre WWI. We currently eradicate marijuana with herbicides and grow corn and soybeans. Costco sells hemp seeds from Thailand and paper can be made from the fiber (instead of trees)...what is the possibility of growing legal marijuana on the farm?

Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jun 1, 2017

Contact a Nebraska lawyer. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

1 Answer | Asked in Environmental and Landlord - Tenant for California on

Q: What is the procedure a landlord should follow when the hot water goes off for a unit?

Our hot water has been off for about 24 hours. When it went off, our landlord did not tell us personally instead he had other tenants going door to door saying, "Hot water's off till tomorrow". Now it is the next day, I still have not heard anything from my landlord about the whereabouts. I've even... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Feb 27, 2017

The landlord can shut off utilities for temporary service but should provide advance written notice. If it's for an extended period of time that the utilities are shut off, your landlord might have to provide alternative accommodations. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Environmental, Health Care Law and Products Liability for California on

Q: Should I get a lawyer to help me with this case?

I got E. Coli from a restaurant. I wrote a demand letter and now they are refusing the deal I made and they just want to pay my medical bills, although I am 99.9% sure it was from them. I have already sent over the HR woman my medical bills.

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 26, 2016

Talk to a member of caoc who handles food cases. Because of what it takes to prove it, if you are totally well there's no shame in payment of your medical bills (which must include what your insurance company paid or your insurance may look to you for payment--so get them involved, especially if... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Environmental for California on

Q: What does it mean by "to constitute a taking???"

I am a korean student studying environment laws of the u.s. and finding it hard to translate the word "taking"

Maxwell Charles Livingston Esq. answered on May 7, 2012

A taking occurs when the government takes land for public use. Government is said to take land either when it (1) strips the land of all beneficial use or value OR (2) there is any PERMANENT physical occupation (including putting a wire across the land permanently).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.