Ashburn, VA asked in Insurance Defense, Employment Law and Real Estate Law for Maryland

Q: My car was broken into in front of my employer property while i was at work. Can i sue to force their insurance to pay?

My car was parked on the street, directly across from the University of Maryland capital region hospital in Largo, MD. I was on orientation and told to find a park on premises until i was given access to the lot. The thief stole over 3k worth of stuff that i had in two bags. The big ticket items were my PAPR(1200) and Laptop(1600).

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: File your claim under your comprehensive auto insurance coverage, which covers such things as losses resulting from criminal acts. You're wasting your time trying to prove liability against the owner of the location where your car was parked. They owe you no special duty to prevent criminals from targeting your vehicle. If this had happened in the parking lot of your apartment building where you had a lease, there are theories based on the knowledge of ongoing and recent criminal activity on the property that might give rise to a legal duty on the part of the landlord to take reasonable precautions (like more lighting, etc.) to provide a safer environment for their tenants, to whom they already owe a contractual duty. That is not the case here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.