Maryland Insurance Defense Questions & Answers

Q: what rights do I have if insurance wants to stop paying me disablity. I have been disabled since 1999.

2 Answers | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Elder Law for Maryland on
Answered on Jan 31, 2019
Mark Oakley's answer
You need to look at the provisions of the disability insurance policy or plan under which benefits are being paid in order to ascertain what rights they and you have, and what medical standards apply to your situation. You may want to have your own doctors draft a report based on your current condition which supports continued benefits under the standard for disability. There are lawyers who handle insurance claims, and you can also contact the Maryland Insurance Commissioner to file a...

Q: My mom owned a cosmetology school. It was under a LLC. The business closed, and the students had to transfer....

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Maryland on
Answered on Jan 29, 2019
Arnab Kumar Banerjee's answer
i need some more information. what are the terms of indemnity agreement your mother signed ? are they hold her liable ? can you share me the indemnity contract ?

without knowing the exact terms i cannot give you any advice.

Q: Can I sue myself in Maryland for auto property damage liability? Details below.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Maryland on
Answered on Nov 8, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
The language has to be in the policy. Demand that your insurance agent provide you with the exact provision that precludes your claim. In my experience, however, insured owners generally cannot recover for their own negligence under their policy, with collision coverage being the only insurance coverage offered to address that type of claim.

Q: Is my insurer required to hire outside counsel to defend me against a lawsuit?

2 Answers | Asked in Insurance Defense for Maryland on
Answered on Sep 14, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
If you have liability insurance and the claim against you alleges you were negligent, then yes, they should provide and pay for a lawyer if you are sued.

Q: Will he/his insurance company have grounds to sue? Should I be pursuing legal action?

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Maryland on
Answered on Aug 7, 2018
Yosef Kuperman's answer
It sounds like you were an excluded operator on your family's policy. That means your family's policy on the car will not cover you. If you had another policy, (i.e. you also own a car and that car has insurance) then it may under some circumstances provide coverage. But that sounds unlikely.

It's possible that he's suing you because he needs to as part of an uninsured motorist claim. Uninsured motorist coverage protects him against being hurt by an uninsured driver. If his carrier is...

Q: Do I only need to contact insurance adjuster and in what amount of time to not have my claim permanently closed?

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense and Personal Injury for Maryland on
Answered on Mar 15, 2017
Eric Todd Kirk's answer
This question is difficult to answer without context. A claim would be permanently closed if you signed a release, if your claim went to trial and no appeal was taken, or, if 3 years had elapsed without your filing a lawsuit from the date of personal injury. You also mentioned you need to find an attorney. If you are represented, of course you should direct all questions to him or her. If not, you need to consult immediately with a seasoned personal injury lawyer.

Q: Can I get copies of interactions between my attorney and the insurance company, from attorney?

2 Answers | Asked in Insurance Defense and Personal Injury for Maryland on
Answered on Mar 3, 2017
Paul D'Amore's answer
Absolutely. You have a right to all communications between your lawyer and anyone else relevant to your case. While a telephone call should suffice, I suggest you send a letter or an email to your attorney making the request.

Q: Hello, I'm trying to locate a life insurance policy from 1997

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense for Maryland on
Answered on May 31, 2013
Thomas C. Valkenet's answer
We struggle with this, too, in probate matters. It is a long process, since companies are bought, sold and go out of business. Is an Estate opened? Are you Personal Representative? And how do you know stepmother destroyed anything? So many questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.