Yuba City, CA asked in Consumer Law, Family Law and Health Care Law for California

Q: Clinic called me later saying they messed up billing and now I owe them more money

I received treatment from a planned parenthood and paid my bill in full at the end of my appointment. Later that night, I received a call from them saying they made a mistake and didn’t charge me properly and now I owe them another 125$. Do I need to pay this even though they’re the ones who messed up?

1 Lawyer Answer
Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Long Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: How did they "mess up"? You owe what the treatment cost, plain and simple. If they gave you the correct bill at the time of your treatment, you would have paid, wouldn't you? So what is different about giving you a corrected bill later on the same day?

Don't you ever make a mistake?

Anyway, the law almost always allows for the correction of a mistake, and the law generally does not allow you to profit from someone else's honest error.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.