Waldorf, MD asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Maryland

Q: Can my former employer prohibit me from talking to current employees?

I quit do to family issue. It was abrupt and I sent out a message to apologize for my sudden departure. A GM I trained reached out to me and asked for advice. I told them my advice and some other things they should be mindful of. Today my DO who had not said a world to me when I left due to family problems sent me a text saying he would contact legal and HR if I spoke to anyone on his team. Can he do that?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: He can send you texts, letters and talk to whomever he wants. You can do the same. Unless you signed an NDA, the only thing to worry about is a defamation suit--and the truth of what you say is a complete defense to a defamation claim. If you signed an NDA, have a lawyer review it to determine whether it is enforceable or even applies to your actions. Freedom of association and freedom of speech are protected rights in this country, last time I checked.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.