Dallas, TX asked in Family Law, Criminal Law, Juvenile Law and Libel & Slander for Texas

Q: Can a father legally keep me, an unrelated adult, from communicating with his kids, even if there is no bad intentions?

A father of 2 boys that Ive known for almost 4 years in person asked me to cease communication with them for no reason in January. I didn't listen and continued communication, until 2 weeks ago when he said he found out about our communication, and harshly told me to cut contacr and "seem as if I simply fell off the face of the earth!". He claimed that me communicating with them was harming them, which is entirely false, and that's not just on my account. One boy, now 15 has willingly reached out to me and openly defended me. The younger has not reestablished communication since initially being told to cut it off, so I don't know his stance. Their father claimed he was getting the authorities involved and would file a restraining order if necessary. So far nothing has actually happened, and even so, he has no legitimate basis for one without lying. I would like to note that their are A TON of key moments and details I'm leaving out because of space, but please ask questions.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you are not in any way related to these children, and sometimes even if you are related, a parent absolutely has the right to prevent you from communicating with their children. Absent certain circumstances, a PARENT of a child(ren) has a more superior right to their child(ren) than ANYONE else. That right includes making decisions thst they believe are in their child(ren)'s best interest.

Thus, if this Father believes it is in his children's best interest that you no longer have any communication with HIS children, then he has every right to ask you to stop communicating with them. Failure to adhere to his request could potentially lead to a lawsuit and/or criminal charges against you. This father is also not obligated to tell you why he does not want you communicating with HIS children any more.

I hope this information helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.