Modesto, CA asked in Contracts, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: My ex is on my lease and is not paying for rent and moved out and won’t answer my calls or texts. What do I do?

I just want legal advice on how to evict him or make him pay half his share

2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: More info is needed, and it should be shared with a real estate, not a criminal attorney.

chances are you will need a lawsuit in small claims court.

if he had not moved out, you would also be looking into an unlawful detainer.............

this is NOT domestic violence in my opinion.

Joshua D. Brysk
Joshua D. Brysk pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Pleasanton, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There is no good/easy way to make him pay half. It is the Landlord that has a right to collet rent; you have a right to contribution, but it is not worth pursuing against someone who moved out. If you want to keep the place without your ex, you can talk to your landlord about changing the lease [or even getting a new roommate?]; or get an agreement with the landlord to move out yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.