Westlake Village, CA asked in Employment Law and Construction Law for California

Q: If people pay me to find them floor installers and to manage them the job do I need to be licensed, insured or anything?

I quote flooring installs in California, find someone to do the job (not my company or employees), charge a percentage of the job for finding a floorer to do the job and make sure the job is done right. I'm not a contractor or anything like that. I just connect homeowners with service providers and make sure the job is done right like a project manager. Do I need to have any a licenses or insurance to do this? I also never know if the floorers I hire are licensed or insured. Also am I liable for the workers in anyway? Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
James A. Greer
James A. Greer
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Boulder, CO
  • Licensed in California

A: Dear Flooring Installation "Manager": This will not be a sugar-coated reply, and so for that I apologize; however, the conduct that you have described violates California State License Law as you are operating as a contractor without a license. "Finding someone to do the [flooring installation] job" and "making sure it is done right" and getting paid for those services ? That's performing as a contractor. You definitely have exposure to the CSLB and to each project owner for operating as a contractor without a license (exception: flooring jobs where the total installation cost is less than $500.00). You also have exposure for any negligent performance by the licensed/unlicensed tradespersons whom you are referring to the project (these tradespersons are your ostensible agents and impliedly your subcontractors). And, you may be exposed for injury claims brought by any tradesperson's laborers if their employing tradesperson does not have worker's compensation insurance coverage for the said laborers. For further detail as to the breadth of your exposure to project owners, please contact a reputable construction attorney. For further instruction on how to become a licensed contractor, examine the applicable CSLB websites. This will be a tough pill to swallow, but you should discontinue your present manner of operations based upon your exposure to possible (likely ?) future civil and/or administrative claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.