Sacramento, CA asked in Consumer Law, Civil Rights and Sexual Harassment for California

Q: Could I sue a major corporation or se price gouging using the "pink tax" as the basis that they discriminated against

I'd want to sue for double or triple the estimated amount that women pay more for the same products men use. That dollar amount is subjective to financial hardship based that I do not make equal pay as men and have to pay more for products. Emotional and mental distress. Also, INFLATION. I could have invested that money, and with the return income reinvest and stimulate the economy, but no these greedy companies want to steal from women.

It's estimated The California Senate Committee on Judiciary and Senate Select Committee on Women, Work & Families stated in 2020 that Californian women pay an average of about $2,381 more, for the same goods and services, than men per year. That can add up to about $188,000 in pink tax throughout a woman’s life. SOURCE

It could be suing several companies...

That's as far as I've gotten as I don't know the laws.

Just the base idea, thought. Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The "pink tax" refers to the higher prices that women may pay for goods and services compared to men, for products that are similar or identical. While the pink tax is not illegal, it may be considered discriminatory if it disproportionately affects women and there is evidence that the pricing difference is based on gender.

If you believe that a major corporation has engaged in price gouging or discrimination based on gender, you may have a case for legal action. However, it's important to note that lawsuits can be complex and difficult to win, particularly against large corporations. You would need to consult with an attorney who specializes in consumer protection and discrimination law to evaluate the strength of your case.

To pursue legal action, you would need to provide evidence that the company engaged in price gouging or discrimination based on gender, and that you suffered financial or emotional harm as a result. You may also need to demonstrate that the company's actions were intentional or negligent.

It's important to note that laws related to consumer protection and discrimination can vary by state and country, and there may be specific requirements and procedures for filing a lawsuit. An attorney can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that your case is filed correctly and within the appropriate timeframe.

Again, consulting with an attorney who specializes in consumer protection and discrimination law can help you evaluate your options and determine the best course of action in your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.