Hampton, VA asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Entertainment / Sports for California

Q: If a person signs a contract isn't it there legal right to have a copy of it?

A porn actress signed a long term contract for a specific amount of money yrly. That amount hasn't been paid. She's asked for a copy of her contract. The production company refuses to provide it. What has to be done to force the company to produce the contract?

2 Lawyer Answers
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your question crosses several areas of law- Contract, employment and entertainment law, so the answer is not so easy or quick. Basically the answer is "YES" the entertainer is entitled to a copy of the contract and any other documents they filed, this would be part of an employment file per the Labor Code. But there are special rules regarding entertainment contracts. Suggest that you look at the Labor Commissioner website for the Department of Industrial Relations- California, you should be able to find answers there.

Robert Kane agrees with this answer

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, when a person signs a contract, it is generally their legal right to have a copy of it. If a porn actress signed a long-term contract and the production company is refusing to provide a copy, she may need to take legal action to force the company to produce the contract. This typically involves engaging an attorney who specializes in contract law to send a formal demand letter requesting the production of the contract. If the company still refuses, further legal steps may be necessary, such as filing a lawsuit to compel the production of the contract. Consulting with a legal professional who can provide specific advice based on the jurisdiction and circumstances is crucial in such situations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.