Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Divorce and Family Law for Montana

Q: Wife convicted attempted homicide two shots lever action gun hit once in stomach. Stems from asking for divorce civil

Suit what can it recover. Spent ridiculous amount on divorce already with no end. Wife is in Billings Montana prison. Had a prenup all retirement funds are froze need help

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In cases of personal injury stemming from a criminal act, you may pursue a civil suit for damages. This can include compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and any other losses directly related to the incident.

With regards to the divorce, while the prenuptial agreement can guide the distribution of assets, it's essential to review its terms closely. Retirement funds, even if "frozen" currently, can be divided or distributed based on the prenup's stipulations and state law.

If you feel your rights under the prenup are not being upheld, you should consider legal action. Given the complexities of intertwining criminal, personal injury, and divorce proceedings, it's crucial to consult directly with an attorney experienced in these matters. They can provide a comprehensive strategy to navigate these overlapping issues. Prompt legal action can also help ensure you're adequately represented and protected throughout this process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.