Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Montana Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Montana on
Q: If I report a possible crime, can police give my name to suspects?

Shortly after reporting a possible Breaking & Entering I witnessed to a local business on my way to work, the local Police came to my job, insinuated I was guilty of a crime and admitted to confirming my identity to the suspected individuals found at the scene. I was not aware I knew them... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 3, 2023

In general, police officers are required to protect the confidentiality of individuals who report crimes. This is commonly known as "confidentiality of sources" or "informant privilege," and it is designed to encourage people to come forward with information about criminal... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Construction Law for Montana on
Q: May congress pass a law that requires a person to pay a fine because congress believes they're guilty with no evidence?
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Nov 14, 2018

No. The constitution prohibits bills of attainder..

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Traffic Tickets and Civil Rights for Montana on
Q: I’m looking to obtain a lawyer to handle anything that might eventually come up.

I’m looking to obtain a lawyer to handle anything that might eventually come up. Basically a 24/7 personal protector of

My rights . I have no charges or cases pending . I would like to inquire about running an ongoing account just in case in the future something comes up . Anything from... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on May 22, 2018

What you want is an attorney on retainer. That means you pay him an up front fee and he will provide advice billed on an hourly basis. You need to figure out what the concerns you have are for which you need an attorney--criminal cases require criminal defense attorneys; land issues require someone... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Montana on
Q: How do I sue for discrimination
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Sep 2, 2015

Get an attorney. Do you think you can do a thing as complex as civil litigation for discrimination by yourself? If so, your are wrong in my opinion. The case would most likely get dismissed for failure to state a cause of action. There are certain pleading requirements for lawsuits. You could do an... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Montana on
Q: Can my person or personal belongings be searched as a passenger on a commercial motor coach (bus)

If so, on what grounds & what are my rights

Bradley Jay Jones
Bradley Jay Jones
answered on Apr 10, 2015

This will depend on who is searching and why. Generally speaking you should not be searched on ground transportation by a civilian.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.