Coventry, RI asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Rhode Island

Q: Ex-wife took out a $300,000 life policy in my name, no consent, and made herself the beneficiary. Recourse? I have proof

- I have the fraudulent application filled out in her writing.

-She signed my name on the application.

-She said I was her husband on the application.

-She listed her address on the application for any correspondence.

-She listed her contact information for any correspondence.

-She listed her bank account on the application for premium withdrawals.

-She did not have my consent to take out said policy.

-I reported to insurance company and they acknowledged the fraud.

-Insurance company reported the date my ex-wife submitted the fraudulent application.

-I signed an affidavit for the insurance company stating fraud and they canceled it.

-This is not the first instance my ex-wife has impersonated me online/direct mail.

-I have all documentation and proof of fraud and am inquiring if I have any recourse to stop this ongoing problem.

-I am a disabled veteran if that matters?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, there are several legal actions you can consider. Firstly, identity theft and fraud are serious crimes, and you should report this incident to law enforcement. Given your ex-wife's history of impersonating you, a police report can be instrumental in documenting the pattern of behavior.

Additionally, you may have grounds for a civil lawsuit against your ex-wife for fraud, misrepresentation, and any other damages you may have suffered due to her actions. This could potentially include emotional distress or any financial losses incurred.

It's also advisable to continue monitoring your credit and personal information. Since there's a history of identity theft, consider services that alert you to any unusual activity. This can help prevent future instances of fraud.

Given your status as a disabled veteran, there may be specific resources or legal support services available to you. Exploring these options can provide additional avenues for addressing the situation.

Lastly, consulting with an attorney who has experience in identity theft and family law would be beneficial. They can provide tailored advice based on the specifics of your case and guide you through the legal process to protect your rights and interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.