Elk Grove, CA asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for California

Q: Can i collect partial unemployment benefits from my job if my hours got cut but im still working there?

I work at mcdonalds in california.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, you may be eligible for partial unemployment benefits if your working hours have been reduced. These benefits are designed to help employees who haven't lost their job entirely but are earning less due to reduced hours.

To apply, you should file a claim with the Employment Development Department (EDD) of California. When filing, you'll need to provide information about your employment and earnings, and explain that your hours were cut. It's important to continue reporting your weekly earnings when you receive partial benefits, as this will affect the amount you're eligible to receive.

Remember, each case is unique, and eligibility depends on specific circumstances. If you're unsure or need guidance, it might be helpful to seek further advice or assistance, perhaps from a legal advisor or the EDD directly. They can provide more personalized information based on your situation.

Brad S Kane
Brad S Kane
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: According to the Economic Development Department,

Partial Claims

Partial claims are for workers whose employers want to keep them employed when there is a lack of work.

The employer certifies that the employee is expected to return to work and gives them a form. The employee uses the form to file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim.


If you are an employee who used the Notice of Reduced Earnings (DE 2063) (PDF) or Notice of Reduced Earnings (Fisherperson) (DE 2063F) (PDF) to file for UI benefits, you are not required to look for a new job because your employer has certified that there will be a job for you shortly. You are considered partially unemployed.

How to File a Claim

You should have the following items prepared to file a claim for partial UI benefits:

Full Name

Social Security number

Mailing address

Home address (if different than mailing address)

Phone number

Most recent employer information

Company name

Address (mailing and physical location)

Phone number

All employer information from the 18 months before you filed your claim

Names of employers

Period of employment

Wages earned

Method of payment

Driver’s license or ID card number, if you have one

Most recent date worked and the reason you are no longer working

Citizenship status (which can include an alien registration number)

If we need to verify the information you provide, we will mail you additional information or request more documentation.


To participate in the partial claims program, download the Notice of Reduced Earnings (DE 2063) (PDF) or Notice of Reduced Earnings (Fisherperson) (DE 2063F) (PDF) and issue to your employee. You may also order the form by visiting Online Forms and Publications. For questions, Contact the EDD.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.