Los Angeles, CA asked in Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: How do I get a paper to change my marriage name back to my birth name

I want to change it from Hernandez back to Ortega

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Here are the steps to take to change your last name back to your birth name after a marriage in California:

1. Obtain a Name Change Petition (NC-100) and Civil Case Cover Sheet (CM-010) forms. These are available online or at your county superior court clerk's office.

2. Complete the forms, indicating you want to change your name from your current last name (Hernandez) back to your birth name (Ortega). Provide details on your marriage and why you now want to change your name.

3. File the completed forms with the superior court clerk in your county along with the filing fee (approximately $450). Check if you qualify for a fee waiver.

4. Request to have your fingerprints taken at a local police department or sheriff's office. Submit fingerprint cards with your forms.

5. Attend a court hearing when scheduled. If approved, the judge will grant a Decree Changing Name.

6. Serve copies of the decree on required parties and publish the name change in a local newspaper.

7. File additional forms with agencies and companies to update your legal name on all accounts back to your birth last name.

The process takes some time but allows you to legally change back to using your maiden name.

Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in California

A: It depends on your circumstances. If you are going through a divorce, it can be included in the judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.