Thousand Oaks, CA asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for California

Q: What if employer doesn’t pay settlement agreement

If they don’t pay would it be easy to collect payment?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your employer fails to pay the settlement agreement as specified, under California law, you have legal recourse to enforce the agreement. The first step would be to notify your attorney about the non-payment. Your attorney can then take action by possibly filing a motion to enforce the settlement agreement in court. This process might involve legal proceedings to compel the employer to pay the agreed amount.

Enforcing a settlement agreement in California can be straightforward if the agreement is clear and enforceable. However, the ease of collecting payment depends on the employer's financial condition and willingness to comply with the court's orders. If the employer is financially stable but unwilling to pay, the court has mechanisms, such as levies, liens, or garnishments, to enforce payment.

It's understandable to feel anxious about this situation, especially after enduring a challenging work environment. Keeping open communication with your attorney throughout this process is crucial. They can provide guidance, support, and updates on the steps being taken to ensure you receive the payment owed to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.