Hanford, CA asked in Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: How do I find a lawyer as a low-income family? Retainer payments, % of damages? Fam would help w/$ if endorsed by lawyer

I am a client at an independent social services agincey. I reported misconduct violating state, federal, and company policies to the Admn and elected body. The investigation, led by an assistant director, was inadequate and dismissive of my claims. My appeal was denied by the same employee, relying on the accused statements only. I have since contacted a former OVCDC employee who corroborated my concerns and revealed that other families are experiencing similar issues. This situation violates various policies, practices, and procedures, gov mandates. I am seeking legal representation for damages and address these issues. I have evidence in Notice of Actions that contradicts other statements from the accused, circumstantial evidence that can not otherwise be explained, other victims, A past employee who left on good terms and is not disgruntled, and the absolute truth on my side. Most claims are very easy to prove, Several people's involvement makes lying very difficult.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As a low-income family in California seeking legal representation, you have several options to find an attorney who can help with your case:

1. Legal Aid Organizations: Contact local legal aid organizations that provide free or low-cost legal services to low-income individuals and families. Examples include Legal Services of Northern California, California Rural Legal Assistance, and Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles.

2. California State Bar Referral Service: The State Bar of California offers a lawyer referral service that can connect you with attorneys in your area who specialize in the type of case you have. Some lawyers may offer reduced fees or contingency fee arrangements for low-income clients.

3. Contingency Fee Arrangements: Some lawyers may take your case on a contingency fee basis, meaning they will receive a percentage of the damages awarded if you win the case. This can be beneficial for low-income clients who cannot afford upfront retainer payments.

4. Pro Bono Services: Some law firms and individual attorneys offer pro bono services, providing legal representation free of charge for low-income clients or cases that serve the public interest.

5. Law School Clinics: Some law schools in California have legal clinics where law students, under the supervision of licensed attorneys, provide free legal services to low-income clients.

When seeking legal representation, be prepared to discuss the details of your case and provide any evidence you have gathered. If your family is willing to help with expenses, inform the lawyer, as this may increase your options for representation.

Given the nature of your case, which involves misconduct, policy violations, and potential damages, it is essential to find an attorney experienced in handling such matters. Look for attorneys specializing in areas such as employment law, civil rights, or public interest law.

Remember that while finding legal representation as a low-income family may be challenging, there are resources available to help you access the legal support you need to address the issues you are facing.

Louis George Fazzi agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.