Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arkansas White Collar Crime Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and White Collar Crime for Arkansas on
Q: My ex-girlfriend is threatening to press criminal charges against me unless I continue to be with her. Is that blackmail
William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Oct 14, 2019

Yup. A person can threaten you with reporting a crime or starting a civil action to correct your behaviour - that's perfectly legal. But be my boyfriend or else ... that is blackmail. The real question is what are you going to do about it? Leave her and face criminal charges? What is worse?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Arkansas on
Q: Do Arkansas run they time concurrent with texas
Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III answered on Feb 7, 2018

It is up to the Court in Arkansas to grant time served in a Texas jail for a Texas sentence concurrently with a sentence imposed in Arkansas. Contact an attorney in Arkansas about your specific situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, White Collar Crime and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can a 17 year old with no prior criminal background be sent to prison?

House robbery

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Apr 14, 2018

Yes, depending on the crime. Juveniles can no longer be sentenced to life without parole in Arkansas. They can still be sent to prison. Having no criminal background helps when negotiating a plea without prison time, if you go to trial and during sentencing, if convicted

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and White Collar Crime for Arkansas on
Q: Can a judge in Arkansas reside over 2 cases. One is a criminal and the other is a dhs case.

The judge terminated my parental rights and in my other case would not grant a direct verdict in my favor after the state failed to provide evidence.

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Apr 16, 2018

Yes. Generally, a judge can preside over two cases, where one is criminal and the other DHS.

Some excerpts from a 2015 Arkansas Court of Appeals opinion, regarding a judge residing over a criminal and dependency-neglect case involving the same adult and child, show that the bar for...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.