Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Utah Native American Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Native American Law for Utah on
Q: Where can I purchase 25 usc and 25 cfr .
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 6, 2024

You can have those for free online. If you want hard-copy, paperbound books, there are government printing offices (or commercial publishers) that sell them. But if an online reference will do for your needs, you could find those (and other U.S. Codes and Codes of Federal Regulations) online for... View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Native American Law, Family Law and Adoption for Utah on
Q: My son wants his stepfather to adopt him, but my son and I are Native American. Can we still file for ourselves in Utah?

My son and I are both members of a federally recognized tribe. We do not live on the reservation. I assume ICWA will apply, but as neither biological father or step father are Native American, I am sure my tribe would consent. Bio father has not contacted my son or paid child support in over 5... View More

Jason F. Barnes
Jason F. Barnes
answered on Jul 8, 2021

Hello. ICWA is applicable and very complicated when it comes to adoption cases, and the forms on the court's website are for basic adoptions. Honestly, I am surprised that the court's website has adoption forms at all, as there are many varieties of adoption cases and overall they are... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Native American Law for Utah on
Q: I’m not on the birth certificate and I haven’t taken a paternity test and I don’t want to be apart of it what can I do ?

I don’t want to be apart of the child’s life

Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron
answered on Apr 9, 2021

You are not required to spend any time with the child.

As for child support, unfortunately you can only wait for the other shoe to drop or deal with the issue definitively. If you want to simply deal with the issue, you can obtain a paternity test; there are various ways to make this...
View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.