Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Child Custody Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Colorado on
Q: Working for a bank do you automatically get help for legal services?

I filed custody for my kids, and their absent dad said he works for a bank so he has more than enough legal help to fight and gets what he wants out of this custody case. Should I believe him? Do I need to get a lawyer as well?

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
answered on Feb 4, 2023

Some employers offer prepaid legal services as an employee benefit, however it is not likely that all banks offer this option.

0 Answers | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Education Law for Georgia on
Q: Can a CASA become a career GAL? (Be a paid GAL instead of volunteer)

Research seems to show volunteers can be GALS as a CASA but to be paid you must be a licensed mental health professional or lawyer. Are there other pathways to being a GAL?

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody on
Q: At what age can the kids decide if they want to stay at one parent house and refuse to go to the other parent house.

My 10 year old daughter is asking this question cause she and her siblings want to spend more time at my house. I am her father and the other kids are 8,7 and 2.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Pennsylvania on
Q: What steps should I take to file for divorce and custody in Ford City Pennsylvania.

I've been the only income for pretty much the whole 6 yr relationship. We have a 4yr old daughter. He's stayed home with her. And still refuses to get a job now that she's in headstart. And it's been nothing but emotional abuse and gaslighting. I have 3 son's from a... Read more »

Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
answered on Feb 4, 2023

I suggest that your first action should be to schedule a private consultation with a local attorney experienced in family to learn about your options and the divorce and custody processes. Even if you then decide to try to go it in your own without an attorney, which is generally not recommended,... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Indiana on
Q: A girl will be 18 1st of 2024. Adoptive parents are religious. Spending her away. If she leaves/I pick her up, trouble?

This girl I know will be 18 in one year adoptive parents evicted her biological brother he is now homeless. They won’t give her her medication’s, she’s asked for them. She’s asked for counseling, but they take her to church instead, so she ran away to her soccer coaches house, her parents... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: I have a cys matter I'm currently going to court for! They have unlawfully taken my kids and refuse to return them.

What can I do? What's a proper defense? Can anyone help me?

0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Virginia on
Q: My grandson mother left her child in my care since November 1, 2022. She decided tonight to stop his scheduled weekend w

With his dad. She called the cops. She physically grabbed him and put him in her van. My sister in law opened the van door to help my grandson get out. My granddaughter advised cop she wanted to press charges. How much trouble is she in ?

0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: What type of attorney can petition a juvenile court for the legal custody of a child that is in the fostercare system?

The child was removed from her foster parents based on allegations found to be Unsubtantiated by the investigators. They were matched for adoption prior to her removal. When placed with them, she was identified as a child with Level 2 Trauma. Under their care she began to heal and progress in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Texas on
Q: If my kids live with their mother and I give them a phone can she take it from them
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
answered on Feb 3, 2023

Yes, she can take the phone but the kids should be allowed to talk to you ,

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: If I need to get emergency full custody of my daughter to get her out of an abusive situation, how do I go about it?

I was divorced in one county in Ohio, I live in another county in Ohio and my daughter lives in another county in Ohio different than the divorce and myself. She is in an abusive situation with her mom and her mom's family, including sexual abuse by her stepdad. I really need help and... Read more »

Roger  Bouchard
Roger Bouchard
answered on Feb 3, 2023

You can file for an emergency custody order. Generally, your motion has to state the child is in imminent danger.

0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody for New York on
Q: I’m trying to modify my custody order to be more fair but the father won’t budge on anything, should I keep fighting?

I moved from NY to TN, my husband is military. I didn’t have counsel, was pregnant at the time and was forced to agree to give up all holidays and an entire summer. I originally wanted the have alternate holidays and split summers. My daughter’s father doesn’t abide by the order to its... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law on
Q: Can thr state of Ms take my rights of my child

They told me the took my rights.. I never went to court nor was I ever told of a court date

0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody for California on
Q: Hello I have the opportunity to move to Minnesota with my children & there is no custody order ! Can I go ?

The father is not involved & has not been around to see the child in the child's life the 3 yrs hes been alive - paid no child support either

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nevada on
Q: I came from out of state where I have full custody of my son. Can I leave and go home with him if I've been here for 6mo

I have full custody of my son in Washington, his dad filed to petition for a parenting plan in Nevada since we've been here for 6 months, i don't want to stay, can I leave?

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: I'm currently dealing with sexual, physical, emotional, and mental abuse happening to my 14 year old daughter.

All of that and it doesn't help they are all narcissists. This is happening by her step-dad, mom and her mom's family. Being told that it's all her fault, telling her to pack her xxxx and get out, waiting an hour in the cold waiting for her mom's mom to pick her up. My daughter... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: Cps took my son out of my house last week without warrant wasn't charged and dont have a court date. How do I get him b

He's never been without his father and is so confused and sad/scared. I haven't even been able to see him for a week now.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Michigan on
Q: Filing a uniform child custody jurisdiction enforcement act affidavit, what do I have to provide

I want to ask for a temporary order to have legal custody until the divorce is finalized. What do I have to attach to the document?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Feb 2, 2023

Download a copy of MC 416 from the State Court Administrator's Office website. That will tell you all the information you need to submit.

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Idaho on
Q: Hi I have a cousin whos 16 her mom is ruining her mental health to the point she wants to kill herself what can I do?

She is always selling her pain pills getting too high off her Xanax, my cousin hardly ever eats due to her mom never buying grocery’s and I want to get my cousin help before she tried to run away or kill herself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.