Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Utah Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Collections for Utah on
Q: A rental management company unrightfully hired a debt collection agency and want us to pay the fee. What can we do?

My husband and I moved out of our last apartment almost a year ago because of a weed smoking issue from the tenants next to us. I was pregnant at the time, and not only did it make me very sick, I was also worried about the second hand smoke for my baby. They sent us a fat bill upon moving out with... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts for Utah on
Q: My car was recently repossessed and I paid all the fees on it I am out of town working but my girlfriend has power of at

Attorney, But they say they won't take that and she can't pick it up but that's her only form of transport and I don't know when I'm going to be back in town.

0 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets and DUI / DWI for Utah on
Q: Interlock restricted license but moving to another state?

I have had my driver license revoked from a DUI. I will be able to reinstate my DL next month but it will still be restricted to where any vehicle I operate must have an interlock for another year. I do not own a vehicle right now and do not plan on purchasing one anytime soon. (I have a court... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Collections and White Collar Crime for Utah on
Q: Did the Utah state board of pardons have statutory authority to change or modify an order of restitution?

The crime judgement itself was handed down circa 1994, and Circa 2003 an order for restitution that was jointly or severely was handed over to the state collections department. The collections department claims that the BOP had the statutory right to sever the restitution and collect the entire... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Utah on
Q: I’d like to know if a company can go after you for essentially doing the same thing that they do?

For example, could Airbnb sue me if I created my own property rental app?

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
answered on Jan 30, 2023

The answer depends on a few things. First, if you copy a product, you can sometimes get sued for breach of Patent or Copyright. There are several companies offering similar services, so it is unlikely they could sue you for offering the same or similar services. But if you reverse engineer their... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Utah on
Q: Ex filed for reduced child support. He was making 88k a year, was fired twice, now makes 44k. Is his potential 88k/yr?

My ex husband just filed for a modification to his child support payment. He will pay nothing after this modification. He has been fired from multiple jobs in the last year. He originally made 88k when we divorced. Can I argue that his potential income is 88k, but that he is trying to earn less to... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Jan 26, 2023

You can and you should argue that he is "willfully underemployed." He will need to explain the reasons for being separated from those jobs. If the Court determines he has the capacity to earn the 88k, they should leave the child support intact.

If you have not retained competent...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Construction Law and Small Claims for Utah on
Q: What are the laws on going through a road closed sign when no one is or has been working at the site for a long time.

I went through a road closed sign that wasn't even blocking of the road on the main road out of my neighborhood. No workers were at the site nor are there ever any workers at the site when I leave for work in the morning and the site has remained the same for months. I was pulled over for... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Utah on
Q: I need a video mtg to discuss a settlement which my lawyer recommends be reviewed. No mediation done, ex hid assists ect

Settlement was while under duress in California 2017. I am in a Utah now and

need to appeal unfair settlement

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Utah on
Q: My grandson is native american and was arrested and is in juvenile detention center. We need help they trying to charge

Charge him with aggravated assault/discharge of a firearm. There where 4 other friends of his with them but only hes been arrested. The other friend fired his gun in a store and shot himself in the foot. My grandson wasnt in the store when it happened.

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Discrimination for Utah on
Q: On unemployment from losing my full time job. My PRN job threatened to fire me over it even though they haven't had work

I haven't worked my PRN job since Oct. I even ask for work and they say no. My u employment has nothing to do with them. Can they really threaten to terminate me for collecting unemployment from my past full time employer even they they never have work for me? How do they even know I am on it... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Products Liability and Health Care Law for Utah on
Q: I took a drug that's called topiramate, was hoping for information how to go about suing them. It destroyed my my brain.

I took the drug for a little over 4 years from 2016 to 2020, I no longer have any short-term memory and I have barely any long-term memory. They never warned me about the side effect of memory loss and I would have never taken the drug with that warning. They said it would help my migraines and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Utah on
Q: Is there a patent for a Helmet in a baseball cap?
Stephen E. Zweig
Stephen E. Zweig
answered on Jan 24, 2023

One good way to research this is to use, type in various relevant keywords, and see what you find. For example, try: and various other variations.

0 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Utah on
Q: How to respond to civil suit threat from dog breeder to whom we returned a dog?

We purchased a dog from a breeder in Colorado, we live in Utah. When we picked up the dog, the breeder indicated that it was being fed 2-3 cups of food per day. We continued to feed it according to the breeders directions.

After having the dog for 2-3 months, it wasn't working out for... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Collections for Utah on
Q: I just received a summons for 2 different collections that were in only my ex husbands name when we were married.

We have now been divorced for 2 1/2 years. One was a bank account that was solely his. The other is orthodontic bill for which I held insurance and because I paid the monthly premiums that were very high, he would pay the monthly payments. His is also the only signature on the payment agreement.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property and Trademark for Utah on
Q: Can I use the tagline "The Whoniverse, the Multiverse, to infinity and beyond..." in a logo for a travel agency

I am designing a logo for a travel agent that will be used at comic conventions and similar fan experiences to advertise a service that arranges travel to such conventions.

Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp
Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp PRO label
answered on Jan 22, 2023

Although there are trademark registrations for marks including the words WHONIVERSE and MULTIVERSE, use of these words in a slogan should be considered fair use and not infringing as they are generic terms.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Utah on
Q: I got injured at work work back in June 2020. I received a letter recently for a termination on my case.

Workers comp sent me to a doctor of their choose to get a independent medical evaluation. The doctors opinion was that my injuries are not work related, now workers comp sent me papers saying that my case was denied and terminated because of the doctors opinion.

Tim Rose
Tim Rose PRO label
answered on Jan 22, 2023

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your claim. This is a very common way for the workers compensation insurance company to stop paying for your injury. You should consult with an attorney to see if you can dispute the denial of your claim. You may need to have your treating doctor write an... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Products Liability and Business Law for Utah on
Q: What type of waiver, if any, is needed in a professional setting for the use of essential oils (topical and/or diffuser)

We are a small LLC therapy practice in Utah. We also have a yoga studio in the same space. My therapists are concerned that someone could sue us for adverse reactions clients might experience with Essential Oils in the space, and that we need to have a waiver in place to protect them and the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning for Utah on
Q: Why does my atty not let billing dept to email me copies of 2022 statements. He only wants his sec’y to send to me.

I’m getting our tax papers together and our small business pays our atty fees. I asked the firms billing Dept to send me copies of our 2022 invoices and payments so I can complete the 1099 for them. They said they would . Then when I didn’t receive anything after a couple of days, they said... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.