Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Adoption Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Louisiana on
Q: How do you file a petition for child abandonment toward biological father of child ?

Father has been absent and hasn’t provided care pretty much none of my sons life ( excluding the time , which we were still together that I was working as a cna to care for my children and him the first 3 months after he was born and when I would get home he would leave so I’m not sure that... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for California on
Q: How can I go against a citation of termination of parental rights

I received a citation to terminate my parental rights and a hearing was set for feb 1st and now rescheduled. How can I respond to this request in another person adopting my children. I do not want this to happen

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for New Jersey on
Q: Can a 16 year old male from New Jersey leave their family and move in with another family from Florida?

Hello, I'm a 16 year old from New Jersey, and I'm looking to move into a new family thats out of state. I do not have my parent's consent to move out, but I have the consent of the other family to move in with them. I do truly believe they can take care of me better than my current family.

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
answered on Jan 31, 2023

The short answer is no. The longer answer is that I am concerned that another family is willing to tell you that it's okay to move out of your house and move in with them without addressing the legality of your actions / their actions.

If you are so unhappy in your home setting and...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Family Law and Adoption for Missouri on
Q: Is it illegal to do traditional surrogacy in Illinois without a lawyer?

I was wanting to know if traditional surrogacy in Illinois is illegal and if it's not is it illegal to do it with out a lawyer?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Kentucky on
Q: If I was an adopted juvenile and my direct deposits went into my adopted mothers account that I'm not on,

I have a baby on the way its around 14, 000 i could really use. Now im 18 i moved out she kept all my paperwork my phone car money.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Jan 27, 2023

Depends on the source of the monies that your adopted mother received.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Kentucky on
Q: my child is in the process of being in a private adoption but my family is trying to file emergency costudy.

Is it legal for them to try to take a child whose about to be adopted by someone else?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Jan 26, 2023

Only if permitted by the court.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Child Support for Georgia on
Q: How do I get the father rights taken? What are the main reasons a judge will take a fathers rights?

I have full custody. My divorce decree states that he must pay child support and supervised visitations

Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
answered on Jan 30, 2023

There is not enough information here for me to respond as to whether the father's parental rights can be terminated. You could file for child abandonment, based on what you have written, if he has not paid child support or seen the child. But I'm not sure if what you have written would... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Support and Divorce for Texas on
Q: Is it wise to set up child support payments to a bank account instead of through the Attorney Generals Office?
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
answered on Jan 23, 2023

It is not wise. The other party could claim it was a gift and you may have to pay double. Use the AG and you will not have any issues

0 Answers | Asked in Adoption for New Jersey on
Q: So I know a friend who doesn’t want to live with there parents anymore. My friends parents are so supportive, loving,

And kind. But my friend doesn’t want to be a failure in their eyes anymore. So my friend wants to ask someone she knows and ask them to adopt her ?

0 Answers | Asked in Foreclosure and Adoption for Florida on
Q: can i be re-adopted by my biological moms husband?

when i was 2 i was adopted by my biological grandparents and i am still close with my mom. i want my biological moms husband to adopt me. they are married. is this legal?

0 Answers | Asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Alabama on
Q: Can I get my child back if dhs was never involved and I never signed papers or my rights away or consented to adoption

I never received any paper work about the adoption and I wasn’t present during the adoption process also I live in a another state also I was under the age of 18

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for North Carolina on
Q: Can I adopt in NC with ADHD?
Stephen Edward Robertson
Stephen Edward Robertson
answered on Jan 18, 2023

According to statute in North Carolina any adult may file to adopt a child. If you want to adopt a child the clerk or judge dealing with special proceeding actions will Order a Home Study. The home study will include the following:

physical and mental health, financial information, the...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Adoption and Identity Theft for Ohio on
Q: Am I able to sue for emotional distress for being illegally adopted

My mom faked her pregnant and her labor and tricked my dad into signing my birth certificate. The woman who actually birthed me, used my mom's identity when she went into labor. My biological parents aren't on my birth certificate . The father listed on my certificate died in 2017 and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Juvenile Law for Mississippi on
Q: Can I be adopted without parental consent?

I am 16 living in MS. My parents are non-abusive but I can not stand living with them anymore. Is there a way I can put myself up for adoption without parental consent?

Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
answered on Jan 17, 2023

No. You cannot put yourself up for adoption, and you cannot be adopted without the consent of both of your parents, unless a Court has terminated their parental rights.

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Michigan on
Q: Does the 13th Amendment's prohibition against owning a person apply to minors? Can we answer that without representation

There are 5 instances within the Constitution providing an exception based on age but Section 1 of the 13th Amendment is not one of them, nor is Article IV Section 4, which guarantees all citizens a republican form of government. Amendment 26 denies minors the right to elect their representation in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Immigration Law for North Dakota on
Q: My child was born in Hong Kong in 2014 out of wedlock. The mother was a Chinese national and " see more information"

My child was born in Hong Kong in 2014 out of wedlock. The mother was a Chinese national and I am a US citizen born and raised in the USA my entire life. I married her in Hong Kong in 2018. I was able to get them both visas ,ir1, and ir2. They are now here in the United States. I would like to get... Read more »

Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
answered on Jan 16, 2023

If you are the birth father of the child, then you should be able to file a Form N-600 to obtain a certificate of citizenship. Under the Child Citizenship Act (INA 320) a child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a U.S. citizen when all of the following conditions have been met... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.