Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Consumer Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Alaska Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Alaska on
Q: Our tribal corporation gets millions in federal dollars. They're going to bankrupt our private store that barely floats.

I live in a small native village in Alaska. Our native corporation gets millions of federal dollars that's supposed to help the locals. They built a big apartment complex to provide more housing for locals (which I loved at first), but they mostly rent to entities that bring in outsiders for... View More

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on May 20, 2023

What is your question?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Alaska on
Q: If a cell phone carrier gives me a free phone, can they bill me for it later even if I never signed a finance agreement?

Am I obligated to return the phone if I refuse to pay even though they gave it to me without any conditions at the time of sign up with the carrier? (I believe this was employee error, but feel like I shouldn't have to loose the phone I was told was free with no strings attached even if the... View More

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Jun 25, 2017

Be careful to read all of the terms and conditions. But yes: if they actually gave it to you it's yours.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Consumer Law and Probate for Alaska on
Q: if a person finds a insurance policy from someone in 1923 and it is claimed abanded escheat? can i claim if i have pap

if i have paperwork

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Aug 27, 2016

It is doubtful. If the proceeds of the policy escheated to the Territory of Alaska some 90 years ago, the statute of limitations on claiming the funds has probably long-since passed.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Consumer Law for Alaska on
Q: How do I fight a default judgement against me after 18 years

In Alaska where I live over something fraudulent over a phone bill I didn't make or create

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on May 14, 2016

It is very doubtful that you can do anything about it. You could check the court file to see how you were allegedly served with process, but I seriously doubt that you would be able to prove the proof of service to be wrong, after all of these years. There is, as I recall, a statute which... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.