Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Illinois Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Illinois on
Q: If your cost of living goes up can you change your SSDI benefits?
Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry answered on May 5, 2017


But every year Social Security adjusts benefits to add a cost of living increase.

To your basic question, no you can't move to New York City and ask for higher benefits because your cost of living went up.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Social Security for Illinois on
Q: Workman's Comp carrier went out of business during my case , would going for Disability be a real problem ?

Halfway through my workman's compensation case the insurance company Ullico Casuality went out of business , The guaranty fund was no help , I am still having problems from my injury is going for social security disability an option for me ?

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on Mar 29, 2017

Hire an experienced Workers' Compensation attorney. I do not understand what you mean when you say "the Guaranty Fund was no help." The Fund has an obligation to defend any claims pending with an insurer that folds. The appropriate Motion before the IWCC will bring them to the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Social Security for Illinois on
Q: I'm 16 and my guardian is my payee for social security but she has been stealing the money. What do i have to do to sue
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell answered on Feb 2, 2017

You need to file a petition in court, have a guardian ad litem appointed for you or have another adult to sue on your behalf.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Illinois on
Q: Letter from Social Security on Overpayment

I received a notice dated 1st Nov 2016 from Social Security Administration, for returning over payment made. I accept the notice and agreeing to return the money. However notice/letter says 30 days time whereas the payment stub that came with notice says due date as 15th Feb 2017. Which date... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 29, 2016

Withour reading can't tell you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.