Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Land Use & Zoning legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Kansas Land Use & Zoning Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Kansas on
Q: If I lease ground to someone else and there cattle get hit buy a car , do I have any legal exposure being only the land
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 21, 2023

As the landowner who leased the property to someone else, you may have limited legal exposure if someone else's cattle get hit by a car on the leased land. Typically, the liability for such incidents would fall on the person who possesses or controls the property at the time of the accident,... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Kansas on
Q: Internet co. Installed 3ft high box on property w/o consent or notice. What are my options to remove or be compensated?
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Jun 7, 2023

IMO the first thing you need to do is to determine if your property has a utility easement (most do) and if the box installed by the internet provider is within the easement (sometimes, they do make mistakes).

If the box falls within a utility easement, you most likely can't do...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Kansas on
Q: Can land that is currently leased, be sold?

I own farm land that is currently leased by another party and being farmed. Can I sell the land, or do I have to wait until the lease is over?

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 29, 2024

Yes, but the grantee takes subject to the rights of possession of the lessee occupants.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning for Kansas on
Q: Is adverse possession legal in Allen county Kansas? Can legal owner object to it and retain property
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
answered on Jul 7, 2021

Adverse possession in Kansas is a statutory created right and would be the same wherever the circumstances arise. The statue is relatively succinct and straight-forward:

"60-503. Adverse possession. No action shall be maintained against any person for the recovery of real property who...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Kansas on
Q: Can the rural water do a easement to take part of your land to connect to are waterline.

They said if we do t take the offer they will condemn the property

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
answered on Apr 21, 2021

Rural water districts, like most utilities, have the power of eminent domain. K.S.A. 82a-619 (a). With apologies for the length of the following url, the link below is to an article about use of eminent domain by rural water districts in Kansas. It was written by Gary Hanson, of Stumbo Hanson LLP.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property, Land Use & Zoning and Criminal Law for Kansas on
Q: are parking lots private property in missouri? Asking in regards to dumpster diving/ abandoned property.

My friend was walk through a parking lot and a cop approached her telling her to stay out of all parking lots because they are private property. We dumpster dive and want to remain in standing with the law.

Gregory Byrnes
Gregory Byrnes
answered on Apr 14, 2020

Yes. However, there is a gray area because they can be available to the public for their appropriate use (ie. using Walmart's parking lot to purchase goods at Walmart). Additionally, dumpster diving is also also a gray area and can be private or public depending on the jurisdiction and... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Land Use & Zoning for Kansas on
Q: Can a business block my way into my garage?

I've been driving across a vacant city lot for 30 years, a business came in and built their building going 10 feet into the easement of the alley. There was no notice when they were going to build this building and block my access into my garage. I am disabled and the situation of not being... View More

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
answered on Jun 4, 2019

Your statement seems to indicate the following: You have a garage that opens into an alleyway. A business built a bulding that extends into the alleyway that blocks access to your access. Your access has previously included access through a vacant city lot for 30 years. It is a little unclear as... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Kansas on
Q: Cable/wire was run underground through my back yard w/no easement. What can I do about it?

I believe it is for a new housing development they are going to put across the street from my house.

Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
answered on Feb 15, 2017

Get an experienced real estate attorney to look into it and to represent you. If, as you say, they have trespassed on your land and placed a cable or other property across it without your consent (and without an easement), you may sue for an injunction and damages. Contact more than one attorney... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Kansas on
Q: who do I contact civil rights, real estate? building permit approved via county.City attorney plans to demolish home.

small town City of Hudson, Stafford County Kansas; i need help! WHO DO I CONTACT FOR HELP. I am freaked because i am gong to be homeless.

I have a 6 month building permit via county zoning dept. valid through 14 Nov. 2015. city council, city attorney requested a hearing held at the city... View More

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Oct 5, 2015

You need to go see a local real estate litigator about this problem.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.