Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Minnesota Patents (Intellectual Property) Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Minnesota on
Q: Would a US Patent only cover my rights in the US or could I use a patent cooperation treaty with a US patent to further

Protect my rights.

Ahaji Kirk Amos
Ahaji Kirk Amos answered on Jul 22, 2019

A US patent is valid only in the US. You can use a PCT application, if you are still within the time limits, to file in other PCT countries. That requires a new application.

View More Answers

Q: Does this form of business protect my right internationally, to say I patent articles under the name of the corporation
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn answered on Jul 8, 2019

We do not have an option for an international patent. (Yes, I know many people write that they have an international patent, but they are wrong). We have a type of patent application that is the front end for many patent system. This is called a Patent Cooperation Treaty Application (PCT... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Minnesota on
Q: I am interested in pitching a recovery technique/business model to a large fitness conglomerate. Do I need patent?

I am concerned my intellectual idea may be stolen and replicated as this corporation is needed to provided initial capital to develop the business idea which may then be able to be self-sufficient if the idea is successful.

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Aug 7, 2016

I am not a patent attorney, but you cannot patent an idea - it has to be an actual invention/product. With that being said, you can retain an attorney to draft a contract that would offer you some protection in the event your idea was stolen.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.