Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Minnesota Probate Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Probate for Minnesota on
Q: My boyfriend got charged with probation violation, 609.546(2), 609.53.1, 609.506.1, 340A.503.1(a)(2) he went to his arra

Arraignment Now they are transferring him to a different county what does that mean is he going to jail or what

Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher answered on May 24, 2018

The question is not clear. If he is being transferred that implies he was already in jail, being transferred to another jail in another county. In most cases involving new charges, the defendant will get a bail hearing with a few days or less. After that, often they can post bail and get out.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Gov & Administrative Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can I change my Alabama license over to Minnesota since I moved there even tho I have property in probate in Alabama
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Dec 12, 2017

You should hold a license in your LEGAL RESIDENCE State. Whether or not there are proceedings in any other state are not relevant.

If you have NOT moved permanently and intend to move back in a short time, then changing your license is not needed, but if you intend to remain in MN then you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Minnesota on
Q: Do I need to go to probate or Can I do summary of assignment

My mom passed away 4/4/2015 with no will. She has land amd a poll barn that is paid for. She has a few cars paid in full but a lot of credit card debt. Can I do a summary of assignment or does this go to probate? Do I have become the executor since I'm the only child of hers and her husband... Read more »

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Feb 16, 2017

Short answer: You need to see a probate attorney ASAP and BEFORE you do anything more.

If the estate is 'upside down' (more debt that total assets) it may make no sense for you to do anything. Just 'walk away' and let the creditors fight over the scraps. You don't...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Minnesota on
Q: What type of attorney (assuming probate?) would I seek assistance from?

When my husband passed we were physically (not legally) separated. His death was hidden from me by my in-laws who had him falsely listed as "divorced" on his death certificate, had his body cremated (location of his remains are unknown to me), cleared out our home and garage, and took all... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jul 21, 2016

Hire an estate attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Minnesota on
Q: My mother passed in 7/2014 my niece has taken over the property and her name was in my mothers bank accounts.

not live in Puerto Rico how much does it cost to hire a lawyer? to resolve the property and whats happen when someone dies? She did not have a mortg the house was paid for no debts. My niece does not communicate with me and she made herself owner she is only the granddaughter what are my rights... Read more »

Jonathan Craig Reed
Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Jul 27, 2014

Most probate attorneys will give you a free phone consultation. If the niece was a joint owner of the bank account or a payable on death beneficiary of the bank account, the niece would normally get the bank account proceeds. The county recorder where your mother's house is located may have a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Minnesota on
Q: When monies get probated, who receives the money after probate? -The person listed in the will, or blood relatives?
David William Jacobsen
David William Jacobsen answered on Dec 7, 2013

A will is a testamentary document that provides where the testator wants his or her property to pass upon death. A validly executed will admitted to probate without challenge will control the distribution of the decedent's property. In Minnesota you can disinherit children but not spouses.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Minnesota on
Q: I cant afford an attorney any longer. I am fighting a probate case. Where can I find a low-bono or pro-bono attorney?

I can no longer afford an attorney and I have to keep fighting a probate/civil suit. I am trying to do this on my own, it is very stressful. I have to fight for what I believe in. I can not just through in the towel. Where can I find someone that will help me?

Kristen Bullock
Kristen Bullock answered on Jul 7, 2011 is a network of cost-conscious, local attorneys offering sliding-fee representation (fees are based on your income). This is a new website and more attorneys are joining each day so check back regularly. If you cannot find an attorney in your area on that site, I suggest... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Minnesota on
Q: Is it possible for someone to transfer their probation from another state if they have no family members there?
Robert Douglas Kane Jr
Robert Douglas Kane Jr answered on Dec 17, 2010

Yes, it is possible to transfer probation to another state. I do not believe it is dependant on whether there are family members there or not. It is accomplished on a case by case basis. The probation officer should be the person's first contact.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.