Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Hampshire Elder Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Elder Law for New Hampshire on
Q: What steps need to be taken after a Power of Attorney is revoked to get personal property and money back.

My 92 year old uncle signed a power of attorney over to my cousin. When my uncle realized my cousin was mismanaging the money and estate he revoked power of attorney to this man. At present at least $ 60,000. is missing along with car keys, house keys, and documents. I am the new Power of... Read more »

Israel Piedra
Israel Piedra answered on Jul 6, 2016

You should act quickly to protect your uncle's rights. You likely have claims against the cousin for breach of fiduciary duty, among other things. Your legal options will vary greatly depending on the facts. Speak to a civil litigation attorney as soon as possible.

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Estate Planning for New Hampshire on
Q: Does a POA give the POA agent the right to act as my trustee, when my trustee has become mentally incompetent?

My father was my trustee for a trust for which I was both grantor and sole beneficiary. Without telling me, my sister acquired durable power of attorney for my father, and started "standing in" for my father, making decisions for my trust, and my personal expenditures, without becoming... Read more »

Israel Piedra
Israel Piedra answered on Jun 6, 2016

This is a complex question and I can't urge you strongly enough to consult an experienced trusts attorney. There may be statute of limitations concerns.

Please contact me directly if you need help finding an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.