Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Juvenile Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
New Mexico Juvenile Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for New Mexico on
Q: Is it illegal for a user to post a video on YouTube of a minor being interrogated without parental permission?

My son was 15 years old at the time of the recording of the video. I am also seen in the video. Can I take legal action to have the video removed? My son has been receiving death threats because of this video. I have filed a privacy complaint by reporting the video, but YouTube has yet to respond.... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 23, 2024

Given the circumstances you've described, it appears that posting a video of a minor being interrogated without parental permission could potentially violate privacy laws. As a parent, you have the right to protect your son's privacy and well-being. You may have legal grounds to take... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for New Mexico on
Q: Is there a specific age that a teenager can be left at home alone? How long?
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 30, 2024

There is no specific law that states a precise age at which a teenager can be legally left at home alone. The decision is generally left to the discretion of the parents or guardians, who are best positioned to assess the maturity and capability of the child.

It's important for...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for New Mexico on
Q: New mexico, 16 y boy, 26 y old girl, consensual relationship. His parents approve. Is she breaking the law?

Girlfriend is 9 years and 11 months older than boy. Can someone besides parents bring charges against her?

Stephen Aarons
Stephen Aarons
answered on Feb 13, 2021

16 is the age of consent so she should be OK as to criminal sexual penetration. She could get charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor if she gets him alcohol or drugs however.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for New Mexico on
Q: Perhaps I didn't ask the question properly. My niece has a warrant for burglary in New Mexico. She has an 8 yr old girl

She wants to turn herself in with her lawyer but wants me to pick the daughter up before she does that so she's with someone safe. What should I do to make sure I have guardianship of her for school, medical and other things?

Sean Maye
Sean Maye
answered on Nov 11, 2020

The answer to this question is one rooted in NM law, unfortunately. As you would be attempting to assume custody of the child in NM, you will need to consult with a lawyer there regarding a possible emergency petition for temporary custody and guardianship. That said, it is highly unlikely that... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for New Mexico on
Q: My child is 16 and working at McDonalds... as his parent can I request to see his work schedule?

I would like to know what rights as the parent I have when my child, who is 16, is working.

Trent A. Howell
Trent A. Howell
answered on Oct 31, 2017

This is a great question. In general, child laborers 16 and over are not subject to special "work permit" (and associated approval and record) requirements in New Mexico. See, e.g., NM Stat § 50-6-2 (2007). However, because a 16 year old is still a "minor" under New Mexico... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.