Ohio Admiralty / Maritime Questions & Answers

Q: How do I ask an Ohio court to determine if a water way is or is not "navigable"?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Admiralty / Maritime for Ohio on
Answered on Apr 9, 2018
Joseph Jaap's answer
You possibly could file an action for a "declaratory judgment" with a court. There might be different definitions of "navigable waters of the US" that have been determined in different court rulings applying EPA and other federal and state laws and regulations. A definition in one court decision might conflict with a definition in a different court decision. Get am OH watercraft license and talk to ODNR if the answer is not on its web site: http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/

Q: What does it mean when a person is indicted for theft and there is no discovery or nothing in the discovery?

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime and Criminal Law for Ohio on
Answered on Dec 4, 2017
Matthew Williams' answer
That's a lot to unpack. What happened?

First, Miranda warning are required only if the police intend to use the answers to questions they ask during a custodial interrogation. If they didn't question you, don't need your answers, or you were not in custody when you were questioned, they don't need Miranda. Second, the punishment, so to speak, for the state for violating Miranda is not dismissal of the case but exclusion of the answers given during interrogation and potentially other...

Q: I need help with my birth certificate and certificate of live birth

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Admiralty / Maritime and Family Law for Ohio on
Answered on Oct 17, 2017
Kenneth V Zichi's answer
A Certificate of Live Birth is just the 'full' name of what most people call a 'birth certificate, and many states have slightly different names for the same document.

The state where you were born has the record, and you can get a copy from that state's bureau of vital statistics (or whatever that department is called in your state -- again, the terminology may be slightly different). You DO have to prove who you are however, as birth records are NOT public documents, and are far too...

Q: Why is Maritime law used in U.S. County Courts instead of Constitutional laws

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Ohio on
Answered on Dec 8, 2014
Matthew Williams' answer
Constitutional issue can be argued in any American courthouse. Your question is very confusing and demonstrates clearly that you do not understand the system you are dealing with. You should hire an attorney to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.